Sports Talk Underground Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sports Talk Underground Network

Welcome to the Sports Talk Underground Network Community Forum.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Can't Believe This...

Go down 
+2
whodeygal
Underground Dyer
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
whodeygal

whodeygal

Female Number of posts : 460
Registration date : 2007-07-14

Can't Believe This... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Can't Believe This...   Can't Believe This... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2007 9:55 am

No, but he is ugly. He deviates from the norm.

I didn't say the man was keeping the fat chicks down. But you asked how the big girls were shunned, and I answered. Fat shaming (of both men and women) is a reality. It happens in everyday life. Of course, that's something that can be said about tons of different kinds of people, be it age-, race-, or body-related. People do tend to get off on poking at what's not like them. Sort of like your insistence at repeated button pressing, no matter what.

(Incidentally, you should know that my tolerance of that sort of thing is much lower than the average person's, so you do it with me at your own peril. FYI.)

Quote :
I only bring Rene up because she actually gained weight for her romantic parts in Bridget Jones. For the record, no, I don't think she's fat.
Dude, only a biology skeleton would be able to call her fat. She has a lollipop head and the dreaded clavicles of death.

She doesn't apply here. So she put on 20 pounds. There are a lot of actually chubby (British!) actresses who could have, and should have, been cast in that role. It kept her off a Vogue cover. Aw. So now she understands the plight of the overweight girl. Whatever. She can sit over in the corner with Tyra "I wore a fat suit for 30 minutes so I really feel your pain" Banks.

Look, my point was that women's sizes are arbitrary, which they are. There's no industry-wide standard for sizing. Each manufacturer sets their own size scale. That's the truth. The rest of this is just semantics. There are people who try to make larger individuals feel bad about that. Is it a conspiracy? Doubt it. But is it real? You bet your cream puffs.

Great, now I'm hungry.

The general idea of what is fat and what isn't is so skewed. The aforementioned Tyra is no longer model-thin, so she's thought of as fat. It's ridiculous. The idea of what is normal and healthy is very skewed thanks to the glorification of women who are at weights no average person could achieve. These are women who have tons of free time to go to the gym. If I was able to work out like that every day, I'd be a world smaller too. Half the girls in Hollywood have eating disorders. You can't tell me you don't think that's a problem.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hyacinthtucker.com/
meathorse

meathorse

Male Number of posts : 410

PostSubject: Re: Can't Believe This...   Can't Believe This... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2007 10:43 am

Quote :
Fat shaming (of both men and women) is a reality.
Ah, good deal. I didn't like how it was previously presented as a female thing. I can agree with this, but I don't personally view it as being any worse than the million other things people pass judgement on each other for, some of which you mentioned.

Quote :
Look, my point was that women's sizes are arbitrary, which they are. There's no industry-wide standard for sizing. Each manufacturer sets their own size scale. That's the truth. The rest of this is just semantics.
Truth!

Quote :
There are people who try to make larger individuals feel bad about that.
Ugh. I still cannot see the connection between arbitrary clothing sizes and fat shame! Can we focus on this? It's a real sticking point for me. You're starting with clothing size and ending with the glorification of anorexic Hollywood actresses. This can't be the point you're making, because it would lead me to believe that you think if women's clothing sizes were based on measurements then Keira Knightley will eat a cheeseburger. This does not compute.

Quote :
Sort of like your insistence at repeated button pressing, no matter what.

(Incidentally, you should know that my tolerance of that sort of thing is much lower than the average person's, so you do it with me at your own peril. FYI.)
OMG... poison turkey...
Again, not that you accused me of this... but I'm perfectly OK with pushing buttons on other people that are buttons on myself as well Very Happy
Back to top Go down
meathorse

meathorse

Male Number of posts : 410

PostSubject: Re: Can't Believe This...   Can't Believe This... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2007 11:18 am

SAVED!
Can't Believe This... - Page 2 Be5a0a3035
Back to top Go down
whodeygal

whodeygal

Female Number of posts : 460

PostSubject: Re: Can't Believe This...   Can't Believe This... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2007 6:42 pm

Gah! My eyes! What are you trying to do to me? You could grate cheese on that sternum!
Quote :

I still cannot see the connection between arbitrary clothing sizes and fat shame! Can we focus on this? It's a real sticking point for me. You're starting with clothing size and ending with the glorification of anorexic Hollywood actresses. This can't be the point you're making, because it would lead me to believe that you think if women's clothing sizes were based on measurements then Keira Knightley will eat a cheeseburger.
Sorry, it was late and I should have separated that last bit from the paragraph. Trying to make a point while I can barely keep my eyes open probably wasn't the best idea.

But it is a strangely compelling hypothesis. I'm more of a strapping down, force feeding kind of girl, but head games might work too. She says she's not anorexic, but one's head being wider than one's hips could be seen as problematic.

No, I just think that continued arbitrary sizing, the idea that a "size 12" is considered "plus-size," and fat shaming are not entirely unrelated. The idea that a perfectly normal woman such as the one pictured in the original post is big is connected to the glorification of anorexic Hollywood actresses. That's my point. We are shown the anorexic as the ideal, and after repeated exposure it comes to be seen as the norm. Anything that goes above that, even if it is perfectly average, is seen as abnormal.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hyacinthtucker.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can't Believe This...   Can't Believe This... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can't Believe This...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sports Talk Underground Network :: Sports Discussions :: Off The Subject-
Jump to: