Sports Talk Underground Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sports Talk Underground Network

Welcome to the Sports Talk Underground Network Community Forum.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Big Ten Network

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast

Male Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2007-08-22

Big Ten Network Empty
PostSubject: Big Ten Network   Big Ten Network Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2007 4:46 am

Looks like Comcast cable subscribers are not going to get the new Big Ten network this season. It's unfortunate that, living in Big Ten country, we don't read the real truth about Jim Delany, the negotiations for the BTN and the impasse with Comcast. All we get are the Big Ten Network talking points. The Big Ten regional media doesn't take Delany to task for this monumental failure in negotiations. Why is it that zero media scribes or broadcast interviewers have put him on the spot and asked him the most important question: How much he is seeking from Comcast, per subscriber, for the BTN? The fact we won't get the BTN on Comcast comes down to one simple fact: it's too damn expensive because the Big Ten is trying to gouge Comcast and TV subscribers and Comcast doesn't think they will sell enough packages or be able to raise rates enough to attract a suitable number of viewers. They want to be certain of a minimum number of subscribers and $$ revenue. Their financial models obviously tell them they won't reach those targets. If they did, they would have had a deal by now . Yet, the media won't address that at all. Curious that the media is so passive about this huge Big Ten screwup. I want the games, but do I want them for an additional $10/month? $15/month? I don't know the answer because nobody in the media will ask Delany the question. Comcast surely knows where the breakeven price point is for their new channels. And it's obvious that their models tell them they won't achieve the desired return at the current prices the BTN is trying to charge.

It will be interesting to see how the BTN's bargaining position erodes when they have to pay production expenses to televise all the games they promised to Direct TV, but don't have the cable subscriber base to absorb those costs. It will also be interesting to see how the Big Ten presidents react to Delany when they realize he went forward with this network without all the subscription deals already set and in place and all the i's dotted on all the contracts with cable and satellite subscribers nationwide. If any businessman in a "real" business put such a deal together prematurely without all the distribution channels established, as Delany as done, he'd be out of a job quicker than you can say "missed financial expectations".
Back to top Go down
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

Male Number of posts : 569
Registration date : 2007-07-14

Big Ten Network Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Ten Network   Big Ten Network Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2007 7:09 am

Completely agree Coast. I don't understand why no one has taken the Big Ten to task on this yet.
Back to top Go down
NSJ

NSJ

Male Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2007-10-03

Big Ten Network Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Ten Network   Big Ten Network Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 10:31 pm

Bump.

Anyone know the latest?
Back to top Go down
Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast

Male Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2007-08-22

Big Ten Network Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Ten Network   Big Ten Network Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 11:03 pm

The latest: I got Direct TV this weekend. The tree guys came Friday and cut down all the overhanging limbs to give me a clear shot to put in a dish. The satellite guy came Saturday and put the dish on the roof. I now have every local sports channel in America, BTN, ESPNU, etc. etc. as well as a bunch of movie channels. I am paying $105/month for the package....or about $10 more a month than I was paying for Comcast without getting the 50 sports and 25 movie channels.

F Comcast. F the Big Ten. I'm not going to accuse either organization of being well managed. I just wanted the games. I now have them...just in time for college hoops season.
Back to top Go down
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

Male Number of posts : 569
Registration date : 2007-07-14

Big Ten Network Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Ten Network   Big Ten Network Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 11:07 pm

My dad went the same route and has been happy with his decision. He also gets his local channels in better than with cable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Big Ten Network Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Ten Network   Big Ten Network Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Big Ten Network
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sports Talk Underground Network :: Sports Discussions :: NCAA Football-
Jump to: