Sports Talk Underground Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sports Talk Underground Network

Welcome to the Sports Talk Underground Network Community Forum.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why be a fan?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
CardinalPackerHoosier

CardinalPackerHoosier

Male Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Why be a fan? Empty
PostSubject: Why be a fan?   Why be a fan? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 8:01 am

Today in class

Professor: (sees student wearing a Cubs shirt) Oh you're a Cubs fan huh?
Student: Yeah.
Pro: I decided a couple years ago that I was gonna be a White Sox fan.
Student: That's too bad.
Pro: Why is that too bad?
Student: Ha...just kidding.
Pro: I always wondered why someone roots for a team that they'll never be a part of. (end of convo)

The professor obviously contradicts herself in this and makes herself to look a little foolish really after saying she was a White Sox fan (conveniently decided this a couple years ago when they uh oh yeah won the World Series) and then doesn't like the little joke by the student apparently. For some reason, it got under her skin....and she says something like that (professors have some of the biggest egos sometimes). I don't know why it made me think. I thought about why I was a fan of the teams I root for during the time the same professor showed us "People vs. Larry Flint" (its a media law class, Flint was crazy). I definitely know why I became a fan and still am today of three teams on my screen name. It comes from a love for sports and the teams I like started with (a) my dad rooting for them and (b) a figure or coach with the team I was really fascinated with (i.e., Ozzie Smith, Calbert Cheaney/Bob Knight, Brett Favre/Sterling Sharpe). Then I guess to sound a little silly, it becomes just a part of who you are. You identify with an organization. But then I also was a Celtics fan at an early age and completely dropped them around age 14...so it's not completely just being loyal or falling back on your "roots" of your sports fandom.

Thought it would be an interesting subject to discuss. Why in the world do you root for the team you do? Is it, like Seinfeld would say, you're rooting essentially for laundry (meaning you just like the colors)? Or a particular player caught your eye? Or family ties? Maybe both. Or maybe you are really a huge fan of a league but don't necessarily have one favorite team? Some could argue a person would have more appreciation for the sport then. For example, I love college football, but Indiana is horrible every year and I still root for them, even if its somewhat passively...however this may lead to me really really enjoy the bowl games and the marquee matchups. I don't really "hate" any particular team. I don't get on the Ohio State or Michigan sides. However in the playoffs during baseball, if the Cards are in it, I probably don't appreciate great plays (see Endy Chavez catch last NLCS) as much cos I'm so caught up in the Cards winning. I know I'm not alone there.

And on top of that, is a fan technically a part of the organization if they're buying tickets, tshirts, hats, etc. of the team? I don't know. They wouldn't have the perks they do without the millions that support them.

Comments? Ideas?
Back to top Go down
http://cardinalnationjournal.blogspot.com
BrianIm

BrianIm

Male Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2007-07-15

Why be a fan? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why be a fan?   Why be a fan? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 8:29 am

My reason is purely geographical. When I used live down in Southern Ontario, I supported the Bills and Sabres because I lived so close to the border. When I moved to the Greater Toronto Area, I started cheering for all the Toronto franchises...leafs, raptors, jays, TFC, Rock, marlies, argos, etc.
Back to top Go down
CardinalPackerHoosier

CardinalPackerHoosier

Why be a fan? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why be a fan?   Why be a fan? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 8:44 am

Yeah, obviously geography plays a role, too. I just saw another amazing catch by Jim Edmonds. Reminds me of a reinforcer that has made stick with the Cardinals for so long...there always seems to be a commitment to great defense from the ownership. More important than a great offense for championships imo.
Back to top Go down
meathorse

meathorse

Male Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2007-07-14

Why be a fan? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why be a fan?   Why be a fan? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 8:56 am

Denver Broncos.
6 years old.
Superbows XXI.
"rooting for laundry" (That's a nice term! I enjoy it.)

It snowballed for no reason. Never even been to Colorado until last year.

Quote :
Pro: I always wondered why someone roots for a team that they'll never be a part of.
That's an absolutely awful argument. No wonder the conversation ended :)
Back to top Go down
CardinalPackerHoosier

CardinalPackerHoosier

Why be a fan? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why be a fan?   Why be a fan? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 9:01 am

Yeah, I have a lot of respect for the Broncos even though they beat the Packers in the Super Bowl...but always seem to be in the mix. Denver seems to live off them too.
Back to top Go down
jdburlin1022

jdburlin1022

Male Number of posts : 107

Why be a fan? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why be a fan?   Why be a fan? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 9:01 am

Parents lived in baltimore, I live in baltimore. So its geographic and family
Back to top Go down
Underground Dyer
Host
Underground Dyer

Male Number of posts : 483

Why be a fan? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why be a fan?   Why be a fan? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 8:22 pm

Why Dyer grew up a Bears fan:

1. Born and raised in Chicago
2. Fell in love with Walter Payton, everything he did was amazing
3. The Bears were awesome when I was younger
4. Dad was/is a Bears fan and that's who we watched.
5. Jim McMahon

Why Dyer grew up a Cubs fan:

1. Born and raised in Chicago
2. It's the Chicago baseball team my family supported
3. Ryne Sandberg's legendary performance vs. St. Louis in '84. He was my favorite player after that.
4. I liked their uniforms better than the White Sox when I was younger
5. Harry Caray

If I really sat down and thought about it these lists could be a lot longer, but I tried to think about how I became a fan at the earliest stage. These are the reasons I remember.
Back to top Go down
http://chicagobearsreview.mypodcast.com
Sponsored content

Why be a fan? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why be a fan?   Why be a fan? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why be a fan?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sports Talk Underground Network :: Sports Discussions :: Off The Subject-
Jump to: