Sports Talk Underground Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sports Talk Underground Network

Welcome to the Sports Talk Underground Network Community Forum.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

About books.

Go down 
+3
rockhoppers
Borsky
whodeygal
7 posters
AuthorMessage
whodeygal

whodeygal

Female Number of posts : 460
Registration date : 2007-07-14

About books. Empty
PostSubject: About books.   About books. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2007 9:39 am

Now that it's been brought up as a possible subject for Whit's next show, I'm very curious as to everyone's reading habits around here. Like, what do you like to read, whenever you do that? I know not everyone is like me; I read constantly. I commute by bus, so I always have plenty of time to blow through books.

For example, I read a lot of nonfiction, usually related to some obsession that grips me suddenly. Currently it's photography, golf, and technology books. When I read fiction, I like more modern stuff, with no clear protagonists. Everyone is flawed, and if it's written right, you sort of feel for everyone involved. It feels like real people; even the best of us has moments when we're not so great, and I like that.

I also read a lot of sci fantasy, like the Harry Potter books, and the odd bit off Anne McCaffrey, but mostly anything that is set in the medieval period. My favorite book is The Mists of Avalon, which is a retelling of the Arthurian legend primarily from the point of view of the women involved. I have read it three times and it's always fresh and excellent. Along the same vein, I just recently started the series A Song of Ice and Fire, by George R. R. Martin. It's supposed to span seven books, and it's set up in a very epic fashion. It's heavy; I like it so far.

To be fair, it's not all Austen and Bronte around here; I've also recently begun building a collection of manga. I love that stuff. The Japanese are so...interestingly odd. Nowhere does this show more than with their manga.

Does anyone else around here read? One never seems to think to ask such things of people with whom they talk sports, but as I said, my curiosity is piqued.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hyacinthtucker.com/
Borsky

Borsky

Male Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2007-07-18

About books. Empty
PostSubject: Re: About books.   About books. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2007 9:55 am

I read a lot of books on gambling and sports. Some must read books to read if you like gambling would be "Bringing Down the House", "American Roulette", "Positively 5th Street" - My Favorites (And they are not how to books - they are stories.

I'm also a huge horse racing fan and if you like horseracing you need to read "Horseplayers" - (Again, not a book about becoming a better handicapper).

I would also love a list of some of the better sports books?
Back to top Go down
rockhoppers

Male Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2007-07-15

About books. Empty
PostSubject: Re: About books.   About books. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2007 3:20 pm

I am a big reader, not so much these days as I commute by car so it is a bit tricky to read Very Happy

My tastes vary, I read SciFi and Horror, detective stories and Sports biographies.

I guess the sports books I read are not a great interest to folks on here as they tend to be cricket based. It is likened to baseball in that a lot of great writers are attracted to it.

As for Sci Fi, I recently discovered Harry Turtledove and a series about the second World War and aliens landing in the middle of it, an amusing take on alternative history - I also read one of his where time travellers went back to the civil war with AK45's...

I try to pick up most Terry Prachett stories, as always though the later works are not a patch on his earlier stuff, and I also started reading a couple of Harlem Coben which were a good detective/thriller read.

I am not very high brow when it comes to reading (as if that wasn't obvious) I want a book that grips me so I can not put it down. I do enjoy Harry Potter (dispite my jibes earler) and Karen has just finished deathly hallows so I will start that this weekend...
Back to top Go down
meathorse

meathorse

Male Number of posts : 410

About books. Empty
PostSubject: Re: About books.   About books. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2007 7:04 pm

Quote :
a series about the second World War and aliens landing in the middle of it
Laughing That is awesome.

I don't read much fiction anymore and it makes me look like a nerd. The last three things I've read were a joint Nixon/Kissinger biography, Maus 1 and 2, and I'm halfway through A Brief History of Time right now (although from what I hear... "now" is relative). That one I'm having to read slowly :)

To you sci-fi people... who loves the 2001 series? I do! Oh yeah! Any other Arthur C Clarke recommendations? Only other thing of his I've read is Songs of a Distant Earth, and that was pretty good, too.

Quote :
The Japanese are so...interestingly odd.
I don't think that's debatable :)
Back to top Go down
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

Male Number of posts : 569

About books. Empty
PostSubject: Re: About books.   About books. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2007 7:41 pm

I'm a little all over the place right now. I have to read a newspaper everyday. It's a given. So unfortunately that takes me time up on the morning commute (I take the train). I like to read books about political philosophies, anything Shakespeare (I own the "Complete Works"), Technology books, and right now just opened up The Pursuit of Happyness. I also will read anything about U2 and sports as well. I got this big book on the history of baseball that I might finish when I'm 73.
Back to top Go down
whodeygal

whodeygal

Female Number of posts : 460

About books. Empty
PostSubject: Re: About books.   About books. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2007 7:54 pm

Quote :
anything Shakespeare (I own the "Complete Works")
So do I! Which version? I have the Arden Shakespeare Complete Works. Big red book. It's an excellent edition.

Mark, I think you will like Deathly Hallows. I think that in terms of pacing and whatnot, it's the best of the lot. Rowling's writing has become much tighter over the years. I'll admit, I read the whole thing in one overnight sitting. Fortunately, it was a Saturday night, so I didn't have to work the next day.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hyacinthtucker.com/
Underground Dyer
Host
Underground Dyer

Male Number of posts : 483

About books. Empty
PostSubject: Re: About books.   About books. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2007 8:04 pm

I've never been big on reading novels since high school when we were forced to read them for english class. And reading a few novels I didn't like against my will kind of soured me on the whole process.

But I have been a huge fan of Mario Puzo for a long time. He wrote The Godfather and several others that I have read and loved. Puzo was an amazing writer and I have almost all of his books (paperback not harcover) in my own little collection. I hope to find the time to read the new Godfather novels that have come out because I love those mafia stories.

I also like sports and music novels. It's not really a novel, but I read 75 Seasons about the first 75 years of NFL history. I don't think I've ever learned more from a book than I did from that one. I've read all of the books on KISS (big shock, I know) and Gene Simmons' autobiography. I've read all three of Mick Foley's books that he wrote himself actually, and all three were very entertaining. I also read Ric Flair's book which was awesome.

Aside from Puzo's work, I'm not big on fiction. So I usually just stick to the sports and music books. So I guess I'm a non-fiction guy.
Back to top Go down
http://chicagobearsreview.mypodcast.com
rockhoppers

Male Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2007-07-15

About books. Empty
PostSubject: Re: About books.   About books. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2007 8:12 pm

Man Shakespeare... I am pretty much ignorant of American schooling, hell schooling over here has changed since I went through it but I have an old Complete Works knocking around at home from school days along with a Who's Who of his works.

We studied, Romeo and Juliet, Twelfth Night, Othello and The Tempest for English Lit. Also studied Steinbeck's of Mice and Men, Heller's Catch 22 and Salinger's Catcher in the Rye for the American Lit. portion of the course.

I was involved in a school production of Midsummer Nights Dream, but haven't touched Shakespeare since leaving University.

As for those aliens arriving, it really is just a throw away series but a cool idea. And I think 2001 made it on to my top 5 that started this topic, nothing really matches that in terms of his novels, I have a couple of short story collections by him and some great non-fiction stuff. I must admit I got far to bogged down with A Brief History... not to sure if I even finished it...
Back to top Go down
jdburlin1022

jdburlin1022

Male Number of posts : 107

About books. Empty
PostSubject: Re: About books.   About books. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 4:28 am

As long as it is a good book, I don't care what the subject is or the topic.

Some of my Favorites are Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, THe Belgariad, The Mallorean, Gods and Generals, The Killer Angels, Narnia, Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons
Back to top Go down
jdburlin1022

jdburlin1022

Male Number of posts : 107

About books. Empty
PostSubject: Re: About books.   About books. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 4:29 am

As long as it is a good book, I don't care what the subject is or the topic.

Some of my Favorites are Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, THe Belgariad, The Mallorean, Gods and Generals, The Killer Angels, Narnia, Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons
Back to top Go down
meathorse

meathorse

Male Number of posts : 410

About books. Empty
PostSubject: Re: About books.   About books. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 4:56 am

Look at all this Shakespeare! I now feel like less of a nerd. Thank you all.

I could never get past the language. Having to read every sentence twice in order to process it just really cheeses me off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

About books. Empty
PostSubject: Re: About books.   About books. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

About books.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sports Talk Underground Network :: Sports Discussions :: Off The Subject-
Jump to: