Sports Talk Underground Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sports Talk Underground Network

Welcome to the Sports Talk Underground Network Community Forum.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Episode 1.004

Go down 
+4
Underground Dyer
jdburlin1022
whodeygal
STUN.Ryan
8 posters
AuthorMessage
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

Male Number of posts : 569
Registration date : 2007-07-14

Episode 1.004 Empty
PostSubject: Episode 1.004   Episode 1.004 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 11:25 pm

Was up as of Satruday and is ready for your listen. I do briefly discuss the RARN fall out since I think its appropriate for that show. Also talk about Mark Cuban, Dwight Freeney, and in my Filibuster I go off on David Beckham's arrival and Fox Sports.
Back to top Go down
whodeygal

whodeygal

Female Number of posts : 460

Episode 1.004 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode 1.004   Episode 1.004 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 11:45 pm

Just listened to it this morning. Good stuff.

Addressing the RARN issue was smart. I mean, it's not like you were given a chance to do it anywhere else, right? I do have a question about that. If people on the boards disagreed with what you were saying about lemmings, why didn't they just fire back? Also, I didn't know about the logo thing. Interesting. (Also interesting is the fact that there was much ripping on that board following the announcement, but when people began to ask questions, the thread was quickly locked.)

Ah well. Ces't la vie.

I think it's hilarious that they're paying David Beckham so much money to play soccer over here. He's not going to bring about some sudden interest in the sport. They might as well just take those millions, head down to the Santa Monica Pier, and drop it right off the side for all the good it's going to do them.

Or maybe they should just feed his wife the cash. Tell me something, who decided that razor-sharp clavicles and shoulders were sexy? I'd like to have a talk with that guy. It has to have been a guy. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.hyacinthtucker.com/
jdburlin1022

jdburlin1022

Male Number of posts : 107

Episode 1.004 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode 1.004   Episode 1.004 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 2:28 am

I to think this Beckham thing is absurd. Do they really think Soccer will catch on as a mainstream sport here in the US? the answer is no. in our short attention span country, a long drawn-out, low scoring game, will not catch on. Hockey has a similar problem, but hockey is a smaller area and faster.

That being said I think whenever LA goes and plays different teams you might see ticket sales rise. Casual soccer fans that watch say the world cup but never go to a game might go to the game, just cuz beckham is playing.

As for the video games, I have a wii and i love it. looking at possibly buying the Bigs for it. looks like a ton of fun. And Wii sports, which was only supposed to teach you the general ways the Wii can be used, is one of the funnest games to play with friends. I am looking forward to Super Smash, Mario Cart, and Mario Galaxy for it.
Back to top Go down
Underground Dyer
Host
Underground Dyer

Male Number of posts : 483

Episode 1.004 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode 1.004   Episode 1.004 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 2:39 am

whodeygal wrote:
Tell me something, who decided that razor-sharp clavicles and shoulders were sexy? I'd like to have a talk with that guy. It has to have been a guy. Laughing

Trust me Isa, if I ever find that guy I am kicking his ass. There is nothing sexy about these little bony assed women. You can see their ribs and even worse (not that there is much to hold up in the first place) none of them wear bras so they look even flatter!! It's disgusting.

I likes my women curvy. Just saw Dusk Til Dawn again over the weekend and fell in love with my baby Salma all over again. That scene where she dances is ridiculous.

You've got the love the Lord for making things like that.

MMM MMM MMM......praise him!!! cheers
Back to top Go down
http://chicagobearsreview.mypodcast.com
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

Episode 1.004 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode 1.004   Episode 1.004 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 2:53 am

Dyer was praising all kinds of women Sunday afternoon in Wrigleyville. Never gets old to me...
Back to top Go down
whodeygal

whodeygal

Episode 1.004 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode 1.004   Episode 1.004 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 3:01 am

lol! I don't doubt that.

Also, ew, ribs. I could snap a twiggy woman in half. Ick. Same goes for skinny men. No thank you. I like a man with meat on his bones. A girl needs something to hold on to! Very Happy

The only ribs I like are the barbecued pork kind, slathered in sauce.

Great, now I'm hungry.
Back to top Go down
meathorse

meathorse

Male Number of posts : 410

Episode 1.004 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode 1.004   Episode 1.004 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 4:43 am

Quote :
Just saw Dusk Til Dawn again over the weekend and fell in love with my baby Salma all over again. That scene where she dances is ridiculous.
Oh my god... that scene.
I'd never had a hard-on implode before.
Best bait and switch ever.
Back to top Go down
jdburlin1022

jdburlin1022

Male Number of posts : 107

Episode 1.004 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode 1.004   Episode 1.004 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 5:02 am

Just a note on the Freeney signing, espn has now dubbed it the "Freeney Factor"

Stupid ESPN
Back to top Go down
BrianIm

BrianIm

Male Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2007-07-15

Episode 1.004 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode 1.004   Episode 1.004 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 7:43 am

I think Galaxy fans are expecting Beckham to score every single game but when they realize that Beckham isn't superhuman, the hype will soon die out.

Oh, and add SportsNet to the list of networks partaking in the "Barry Bonds Watch".
Back to top Go down
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

Episode 1.004 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode 1.004   Episode 1.004 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 6:21 pm

This show got way more response than I thought it would. It didn't feel like I did a very good job on this one. Maybe it wasn't that bad...
Back to top Go down
whodeygal

whodeygal

Episode 1.004 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode 1.004   Episode 1.004 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 7:26 pm

No, it wasn't. But it's okay; we're always our own harshest critics. Wink
Back to top Go down
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

Episode 1.004 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode 1.004   Episode 1.004 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 7:49 pm

Funny you mention that. My team lead discussed with me i was too hard on myself in my quarterly meeting last week....I'm sensing a trend...
Back to top Go down
whodeygal

whodeygal

Episode 1.004 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode 1.004   Episode 1.004 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 8:00 pm

I get the same thing when discussing my photography in portfolio reviews. I don't think of it as a bad thing; I simply chalk it up to being part of my drive to push harder for growth and outdo prior performance.

It is okay to let up on yourself sometimes though...

I'm told. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rockhoppers

Male Number of posts : 68

Episode 1.004 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode 1.004   Episode 1.004 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 8:08 pm

I guess as a Brit on this board I should apologise for inflicting Beckham and his mad wife on you guys, but we have Madonna so it is only fair...

The press attention over here has been mad as well, but with that horrible smugness that the Tabloid press has that looks down their noses at anything non-English and see the USA as this land of Hicks and Cheeseburgers.

I have no interest in Soccer, less in the Spice Girls, and less still in the career of Beckham or the flourishing of MLS. Beckham is just at the end of his career (I guess he could have played top European soccer for another couple of years) but he has been thrown a boat load of cash and gets to live next door to his new buddies Tom and Katie and hopefully will come to earth with a bump when they realise that nobody gives a toss about them in the US.
Back to top Go down
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

Episode 1.004 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode 1.004   Episode 1.004 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 8:13 pm

I think its funny how Americans see Brits and how Brits view Americans. It's always the exaggereated stereotype.
Back to top Go down
Underground Dyer
Host
Underground Dyer

Episode 1.004 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode 1.004   Episode 1.004 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 8:19 pm

Caught bits a pieces of their reality show during commercials of the Worlds Series of Pop Culture (I am addicted, I swear), and I just don't get why this is such a big deal that they are here. But they have the reality show and when I was flipping through channels last night, I saw back-to-back-to-back stories on them on Inisder, ET and E! I couldn't believe it. The Beckhams this, the Beckhams that......enough already!
Back to top Go down
whodeygal

whodeygal

Episode 1.004 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode 1.004   Episode 1.004 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 8:35 pm

Okay Whit, the first step is admitting you have a problem...

As for the Blech-hams, it's worse over here in Chickville. Posh is being held up as this fashion icon, on par with Sienna Miller (which, considering her shitty fashion sense, isn't really the compliment the industry thinks it is...), so she's in every magazine and on every website declaring her this awesome arbiter of celebrity style. (Dammit, why is there no puking smiley! I need to put it here!!!)

Now the two of them have done some allegedly racy spread in W magazine, accentuated by a cover photo of them half-naked on a car, with her shoulder blades threatening to slice his head clean off. Yuck on both of them. I suspect there is a distressing amount of bruising whenever they have sex.

Ugh; and now I need to put a puking smiley here too...
Back to top Go down
meathorse

meathorse

Episode 1.004 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode 1.004   Episode 1.004 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2007 12:09 am

Quote :
Tabloid press has that looks down their noses at anything non-English and see the USA as this land of Hicks and Cheeseburgers.
I live in central Missouri. There really is nothing here but hicks and cheeseburgers.

Quote :
I suspect there is a distressing amount of bruising whenever they have sex.
Sure, but that goes for healthy people too if they're doing it right. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

Episode 1.004 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode 1.004   Episode 1.004 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2007 12:13 am

meathorse, I've decided I am scared of you. No
Back to top Go down
meathorse

meathorse

Episode 1.004 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode 1.004   Episode 1.004 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2007 12:27 am

Don't know why... but I took that as a compliment.
Now I'm scared of me too Sad
Back to top Go down
whodeygal

whodeygal

Episode 1.004 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode 1.004   Episode 1.004 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2007 12:55 am

Aw geez Ryan, you made him cry!
Back to top Go down
thestos

thestos

Male Number of posts : 42

Episode 1.004 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode 1.004   Episode 1.004 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2007 1:00 pm

Great show Ryan, really looking forward to 1st Aug with yourself and Larry back together.

very classy the way you handled the RandR issue, you were very diplomatic and could have said plenty more things that have been said in private......like their bogus fantasy football leagues which are blatant fundraiser for their show while taking advantage of a number of the fantasy football noobs that listen to their show and frequent their forum.

like another listener said, they didn't give you a chance to share you side of the story so this was the best way to approach the issue. Let's hope some of the RandR listeners get to hear what you had to say....and even if they don't I doubt it's really something to lose sleep over.

Glad to see that your someone who can see the media hype machine for what it is. Unfortunately in this world obsessed with trivia and celebrity, the hype will continue to sell because too many people are not willing to critically analyse the media and therefore can be force fed almost anything.

Looking forward to the listeners league too, thanks for the invite!!
Back to top Go down
http://kurtrudder.blogspot.com/
Underground Dyer
Host
Underground Dyer

Episode 1.004 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode 1.004   Episode 1.004 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 3:12 am

I'll be adding some of my own thoughts on the RARN situation when I record my show tonight. They, for the most part, will probably echo what Simmons said on his show and touch on some other things as well.

Thestos, Simmons and I are both very anxious for August 1st to get here so that we can get back to business as well. August is going to be a very big month for us and I for one can't wait to get started.

Love the Avatar by the way, just love it. Dogma, very underrated movie.
Back to top Go down
thestos

thestos

Male Number of posts : 42

Episode 1.004 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode 1.004   Episode 1.004 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 8:05 am

Larry D wrote:
I'll be adding some of my own thoughts on the RARN situation when I record my show tonight. They, for the most part, will probably echo what Simmons said on his show and touch on some other things as well.

Thestos, Simmons and I are both very anxious for August 1st to get here so that we can get back to business as well. August is going to be a very big month for us and I for one can't wait to get started.

Love the Avatar by the way, just love it. Dogma, very underrated movie.

thanks Larry, great show too btw!
Back to top Go down
http://kurtrudder.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

Episode 1.004 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode 1.004   Episode 1.004 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Episode 1.004
Page 1 of 1