Sports Talk Underground Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sports Talk Underground Network

Welcome to the Sports Talk Underground Network Community Forum.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

+1 model coming soon.....

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
supermanox

supermanox

Male Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2007-07-17

+1 model coming soon..... Empty
PostSubject: +1 model coming soon.....   +1 model coming soon..... Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2007 11:53 pm

Looks like a plus one model playoff will be in effect for the 2011 season. This is probably the most effective model since there aren't very many #5 and #6 ranked teams that can make a legit claim at deserving a national title shot.

I'm sure they'll be some people that still get left out, but this is a much better plan than what we have now, it just sucks that we have to wait until 2011 to get it.
Back to top Go down
Underground Dyer
Host
Underground Dyer

Male Number of posts : 483
Registration date : 2007-07-14

PostSubject: Re: +1 model coming soon.....   +1 model coming soon..... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 12:15 am

A friend of mine called me up yesterday and said he was hearing talk of this on the radio.

I do think it is ridiculous that we're gonna have to wait until 2011 to get to see this because I guess that's when the current TV expires. I think that there is enough of and large enough of a demand that they could make this happen sooner if they really wanted to.

Four teams is a good start, but I still say go all the way and do sixteen teams like every other division in college football. I think a sixteen team tournament for football could be bigger than March Madness especially if an underdog team found its way into the Semis/Final Four round. Could be huge.

But there lies the problem with the system again. Would a 12-0 Boise State team get one of the coveted four spots over a 10-2 Florida State? Or would FSU get in simply because they come from a "major" conference? I think that sixteen teams leaves no doubt about who should be in and who shouldn't.

At the very least they should do eight. But just having a playoff is a nice start.
Back to top Go down
http://chicagobearsreview.mypodcast.com
Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast

Male Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2007-08-22

PostSubject: Re: +1 model coming soon.....   +1 model coming soon..... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2007 4:41 am

Something that doesn't get much air play from the media in Big Ten country is that one of the strongest opponents to a playoff is BT Commissioner Jim Delany. He is a pretty strong figure in any discussions about playoffs and he wants no part of any playoff...ever. As long as Delany is around, I don't see any playoff happening.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=jo-delany010507&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: +1 model coming soon.....   +1 model coming soon..... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

+1 model coming soon.....
Page 1 of 1