Sports Talk Underground Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sports Talk Underground Network

Welcome to the Sports Talk Underground Network Community Forum.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Last night's Fight

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Underground Dyer
Host
Underground Dyer

Male Number of posts : 483
Registration date : 2007-07-14

Last night's Fight Empty
PostSubject: Last night's Fight   Last night's Fight Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2007 9:11 pm

I was watching ESPNEWS last night and I saw the results of the Winky Right/Bernard Hopkins fight come up. Hopkins won by unanimous decision to retain the RING MAGAZINE light heavyweight title.

I'm sorry. Did I miss a meeting?

When the hell did boxing magazines start getting their own title belts? What's next? The Tough actin Tenactin World Heavyweight title?

And people wonder why boxing is headed into the crapper.
Back to top Go down
http://chicagobearsreview.mypodcast.com
BrianIm

BrianIm

Male Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2007-07-15

Last night's Fight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last night's Fight   Last night's Fight Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2007 12:49 am

From Wikipedia:

Quote :
The Ring Magazine Light Heavyweight belt is issued by Ring Magazine to the top man in the division. The holder of a Ring Magazine belt is usually considered the undisputed world champion. Unlike the numerous alphabet belts (WBA, WBC, IBF, WBO etc) the Ring does not strip its champions of their belts or declare interim champions.

The Ring belt is popular because it is considered the one true belt of the real world champion. It was created to try to bring the good old days of boxing back to the golden era when there was just one world champion per division. Ring Champions only lose their title if they lose it in a match, retire or change weight division.

The current Ring Magazine Light Heavyweight champion of the world is Bernard Hopkins. He won on 10 June 2006 from Antonio Tarver. Hopkins is now thought to be retired and the ring belt will be declared vacant until a new champion can be found among the top contenders.

At least there's something you can agree with it Larry. It's supposed to be One and Only belt for all of boxing.
Back to top Go down
Underground Dyer
Host
Underground Dyer

Male Number of posts : 483
Registration date : 2007-07-14

Last night's Fight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last night's Fight   Last night's Fight Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2007 1:02 am

I see, good stuff Brian.

Regardless of what it represents, it's still a title named after a magazine. So I don't think it'll hold the weight that they want it to. Last night was the first time I have even heard about it and I take more than a casual interest in the sport.

Oh well.
Back to top Go down
http://chicagobearsreview.mypodcast.com
Sponsored content

Last night's Fight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last night's Fight   Last night's Fight Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Last night's Fight
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sports Talk Underground Network :: Sports Discussions :: General Sports Discussion-
Jump to: