Sports Talk Underground Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sports Talk Underground Network

Welcome to the Sports Talk Underground Network Community Forum.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A New Eastern Conference Contender!?

Go down 
+2
whodeygal
STUN.Ryan
6 posters
AuthorMessage
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

Male Number of posts : 569
Registration date : 2007-07-14

A New Eastern Conference Contender!? Empty
PostSubject: A New Eastern Conference Contender!?   A New Eastern Conference Contender!? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2007 7:35 pm

Boy this all came out of nowhere...

Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Garnett appears to be headed to the Boston Celtics in a monumental NBA trade, multiple league sources said Monday afternoon.

One player's agent said Celtics players going to Minnesota for the 10-time All-Star have been notified that the deal is imminent.

Boston's talented young forward Al Jefferson and the expiring contract of veteran Theo Ratliff are the centerpieces of the trade that's been on and off for months between buddies Kevin McHale and Danny Ainge. The Celtics are also including Gerald Green and Sebastian Telfair.

The Celtics and Minnesota will also exchange future No. 1 picks, sources said.

One possible snag is the re-working of Garnett's contract, which includes a 15-percent trade kicker of $6.75 million this year. It is believed that Garnett is willing to play in Boston after rejecting a deal in May, but the Celtics still must come to terms with Garnett on a contract extension.

If the deal does go down, Boston is a legitimate Eastern Conference contender with Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen. After years of insisting that his young talent would bring back veteran stars, Ainge delivered with Garnett. Without a contract extension, though, the 31-year-old Garnett could opt out of his deal next summer when he's scheduled to make $23 million.

The draft night deal that sent the No. 5 pick to Seattle for Ray Allen allowed the Celtics to keep their most important trading chips: the 22-year-old Jefferson and Ratliff, whose expiring deal helps Minnesota regain some salary cap flexibility.
Back to top Go down
whodeygal

whodeygal

Female Number of posts : 460

PostSubject: Re: A New Eastern Conference Contender!?   A New Eastern Conference Contender!? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2007 7:49 pm

I know I was surprised to read about that. Garnett swore up and down that he would go the Celtics over his dead body. No way, no chance, he wanted to go someplace warm, with a team that already had the chance to compete, like Phoenix or something.

I wonder what happened to change his mind?
Back to top Go down
http://www.hyacinthtucker.com/
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

Male Number of posts : 569

PostSubject: Re: A New Eastern Conference Contender!?   A New Eastern Conference Contender!? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2007 8:11 pm

Ray Allen is what happened.

Allen, Pierce, and now garnett makes this starting Celtics lineup pretty tough. It'll be interesting to see how Allen and Pierce's games will work together. Garnett will be just fine. This will be a fun team to keep an eye on next year.
Back to top Go down
supermanox

supermanox

Male Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2007-07-17

PostSubject: Re: A New Eastern Conference Contender!?   A New Eastern Conference Contender!? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2007 8:45 pm

More like, David Stern talked to the GMs and owners and said to make this happen to kind of take the attention off the gambling stories.
Back to top Go down
whodeygal

whodeygal

Female Number of posts : 460

PostSubject: Re: A New Eastern Conference Contender!?   A New Eastern Conference Contender!? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2007 9:24 pm

Ah, I get it.

"Mungo only pawn in game of life."
Back to top Go down
http://www.hyacinthtucker.com/
BrianIm

BrianIm

Male Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2007-07-15

PostSubject: Re: A New Eastern Conference Contender!?   A New Eastern Conference Contender!? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2007 10:13 pm

The only moves the Raps made this year was overpay a pure shooter, sign an unknown and draft another European. But still, they will win the Atlantic Division. That's right, you read it here first folks.
Back to top Go down
supermanox

supermanox

Male Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2007-07-17

PostSubject: Re: A New Eastern Conference Contender!?   A New Eastern Conference Contender!? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2007 11:15 pm

Whodey, wonderful quote from Blazing Saddles.
Back to top Go down
Sweets

Sweets

Female Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: A New Eastern Conference Contender!?   A New Eastern Conference Contender!? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2007 12:40 am

Before anyone jumps onto the Celtics bandwagon just remember they are losing like 5 players, although I love Ray Allen and Garnett I just can't see the Celtic having enough $$$ left over to pick up the surrounding cast of players to make a push this year.

Don't misunderstand me, I would love it if the Celtics went no where...

MIAMI HEAT FAN BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.Gridironfans.com
CardinalPackerHoosier

CardinalPackerHoosier

Male Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2007-08-11

PostSubject: Re: A New Eastern Conference Contender!?   A New Eastern Conference Contender!? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2007 10:24 pm

I actually jumped off the Celtics bandwagon back in the early 90s. I really make an effort to enjoy the NBA, but I can't fairly say I have a team. I got a bunch of NBA crap though, it's probably the league I have the most stuff from: Miami Heat shirt, Seattle shirt, Pacers jersey, Washington Bullets hat, I think have a Charlotte Hornets shirt somewhere...it's all old though.
Back to top Go down
http://cardinalnationjournal.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A New Eastern Conference Contender!?   A New Eastern Conference Contender!? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A New Eastern Conference Contender!?
Page 1 of 1