Sports Talk Underground Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sports Talk Underground Network

Welcome to the Sports Talk Underground Network Community Forum.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What If There Were No Pre-Season??

Go down 
+2
meathorse
BBR-Greg
6 posters
AuthorMessage
BBR-Greg

BBR-Greg

Male Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2007-08-02

What If There Were No Pre-Season?? Empty
PostSubject: What If There Were No Pre-Season??   What If There Were No Pre-Season?? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 12:59 pm

OK, hear me out. This is just a brain storm, but I have been putting pieces of it together over the past couple weeks of watching/attending training camp, and two weeks of pre-season games.

I think training camp is a joke. Wrote about it here. The players are not really practicing (at least not in Bills training camp...) they're just "going through the motions". Then, when it comes time to play the games, they're still not practicing, because they don't want to get hurt, and also, the outcome doesn't matter. So they're not really going "full speed".

You can't practice something very well unless you're actually doing it. At least, I don't think so.

So WHAT IF... (here's the crazy part)

The NFL eliminated the pre-season. Teams would still play all 16 regular season games AND four more regular season games, but there's a catch. Just like in college basketball where you play non-conference games up front, the first maybe 6 games of the season would be against the other conference. (So you're adding 2 more non-conference games.) Then add two more conference (non-division) games to the rest of the schedule.

This would allow you to play real games - that matter - at the beginning of the season. They count toward your record, but, LESS than the rest of your schedule. So, if you're in the AFC (like my Bills) you'd play 6 NFC teams up front (one division, plus two more teams) and then you'd play a 14-game AFC schedule. (Adding two non-division AFC opponents).

The players could get in "regular season form" by playing the non-conference games first, and we wouldn't have these COMPLETELY MEANINGLESS GAMES where the starters don't even get in "regular season form" ANYWAY!!!!!!

OK, what about seeing the rookies, and other new players in a game setting, you ask? Good question.

What I think is, the coaches get to see them all off-season in workouts, practices, mini-camps (and maybe you even still have a two-week training camp or something right before the season begins). You pick your guys from that, the go for it. Maybe there's a bigger "practice squad" so coaches can make a few more moves if a guy seems ready for the big leagues. (The NFL.)

You'd be able to see these other guys who didn't make the 53-man roster play "real football" in the NFL's minor leagues - NFL Europe (oh wait, that's defunct... welll... bring it back!), Arena League, CFL... start a new one! Then these guys would ALSO be playing games that MATTERED!!!!!!

Well, read my linked article to see more of why I think pre-season and training camp are meaningless. But I actually think this is a pretty decent idea.

Anyone else?

(Main Summary Point: Drop pre-season, play non-conference games up front, adding two more totaling six. Sweet.)
Back to top Go down
http://buffalobillsreview.com
meathorse

meathorse

Male Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2007-07-14

PostSubject: Re: What If There Were No Pre-Season??   What If There Were No Pre-Season?? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 7:03 pm

The US Army will be happy to hear that training exercises and war games do nothing add to the preparedness and skill level of its soldiers. You've just saved us a boatload of cash and wasted time! Razz

Quote :
You can't practice something very well unless you're actually doing it. At least, I don't think so.
I don't agree with the assessment that pre-season games aren't "actually doing it". Best example I've seen this year is Trent Dilfer going balls crazy trying to convince his coach to challenge a play. Running back and forth, screaming, making the little flag tossing motion with his hand. That's not something you do if you don't really care, or aren't really trying. The games don't officially count, and surely you're not going 110% all the time. These guys still get caught up in the game they're playing, though. On the field they are truly trying to win, and that makes it worth something to both themselves and the coaches looking on.
Back to top Go down
BBR-Greg

BBR-Greg

PostSubject: Re: What If There Were No Pre-Season??   What If There Were No Pre-Season?? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 8:32 pm

Yeah, I'm going on the relaxed nature of the players on the sidelines. They know they're only in for 10 plays or so (the starters) and then they are out... and they just aren't even paying attention to the game.

Maybe it's only the Bills and Dick Jauron's camp?

Sure there's a place for "training" and light run-throughs.. but not SIX WEEKS of it. (Yes, I get your analogy, and certainly it doesn't work with war. you can't practice the "real thing" there... Wink but i think it does apply to football or most other things that you CAN fully practice.)

It's ok. Just looking for other opinions on this. Pretty sure no one can convince me that it's worth it. I don't like to practice in general. Just like to do. And as I do, I am getting better - which is the aim of "practice" but it's for real. Probably just a life philosophy thing.

BUT... THE REAL QUESTION IS....

What does anyone think about that non-conference play upfront, instead of pre-season games? It's sorta like pre-season... the games don't count "as much" ... but at least they do COUNT. I like it.
Back to top Go down
meathorse

meathorse

PostSubject: Re: What If There Were No Pre-Season??   What If There Were No Pre-Season?? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 12:30 am

Quote :
Yeah, I'm going on the relaxed nature of the players on the sidelines. They know they're only in for 10 plays or so (the starters) and then they are out... and they just aren't even paying attention to the game.
That's a good observation. But I'll bet when they're on the field that same game they're at full attention.... unless you're a dick!

Yeah, the war analogy doesn't really work. It was just fun Very Happy

Quote :
Pretty sure no one can convince me that it's worth it. I don't like to practice in general.
I love you the honesty. I do like practice in general, and while getting rid of pre-season altogether seems ridiculous to me...

Quote :
What does anyone think about that non-conference play upfront, instead of pre-season games? It's sorta like pre-season... the games don't count "as much" ... but at least they do COUNT.
Maybe you could convince me of replacing 2 pre-season games with non-division games. 4 is just too damn many. Seriously man... that's a quarter of the regular season. How many pre-season baseball games would that equal? 40 something?
Back to top Go down
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

Male Number of posts : 569

PostSubject: Re: What If There Were No Pre-Season??   What If There Were No Pre-Season?? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 12:59 am

Way too much to read right now at work, but I think there is something to that arguement.

Waay back in the day, training camp made complete sense. It was used more for getting back into shape just in general than anything else. A lot of players would let their bodies go and they all had other part-time jobs to keep them busy when the season wasn't going on. The pre-season games allowed for the players to truly get back in the swing of things and the gauge how out of "football shape" they were in. Nowadays, i think training camp is fine, but I think 2 Pre-season games is more than necessary.
Back to top Go down
BBR-Greg

BBR-Greg

PostSubject: Re: What If There Were No Pre-Season??   What If There Were No Pre-Season?? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 1:09 am

Ryan! Finally someone who makes some sense. (I posted this thread on another forum and the replies seem like they aren't even watching the same league I am!)

So yeah... the game has totally changed. That is what training camp used to be for! But now it's just silly. That's what my article was about. My first-hand visit/experience with training camp (this year, and years prior). And I heard a sound clip from a Jauron press conference that made me think he agreed with me.

But, most of the response I have gotten to suggesting such an idea is that (basically) "it's fine the way it is!!!"

I guess that's just human nature though. I still say it would make the game better. Certainly just my opinion. :-)
Back to top Go down
BBR-Greg

BBR-Greg

PostSubject: Re: What If There Were No Pre-Season??   What If There Were No Pre-Season?? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 1:13 am

meathorse wrote:
How many pre-season baseball games would that equal? 40 something?

Ha! Hilarious. :)

Baseball is another story entirely. One I don't usually even bother with. :)

I did have a schedule idea for them one time too actually. I think I may have posted that one to my blog. Cause, seriously... February to NOVEMBER is ... pointless. Nearly all of their games end up being irrelevant just due to the sheer volume of them!

But again... that's another story.
Back to top Go down
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

PostSubject: Re: What If There Were No Pre-Season??   What If There Were No Pre-Season?? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 1:15 am

Well if that other forum would be a certain RandR forum, they'll only agree with whatever Jeff and Steven say so don't bother if they think you are nuts. Laughing

Not to really go down this path, but I can't help I've read and heard you mention that the RandR guys sound like they only get their Bills info from ESPN.com/ESPN TV. While I completely agree with this (try reading the Buffalo news or something!) that's the kind of talk that got Steven to start yelling at me just so you are aware. I would hate to see a post where you are kicked out of the Network when you might have already asked to leave Wink
Back to top Go down
whodeygal

whodeygal

Female Number of posts : 460

PostSubject: Re: What If There Were No Pre-Season??   What If There Were No Pre-Season?? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 1:22 am

Admittedly a shortened pre-season might not be such a bad idea. Fewer opportunities to watch starters get carted off the field while you whimper, "But he's on my fantasy team! Noooooo!"

That may or may not have happened during the Ravens game last night.

And how come you guys get booted out of the Forum-That-Must-Not-Be-Named, but not me? Not that I want to. It's just an observation.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hyacinthtucker.com/
Underground Dyer
Host
Underground Dyer

Male Number of posts : 483

PostSubject: Re: What If There Were No Pre-Season??   What If There Were No Pre-Season?? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 1:43 am

I would be in favor of fewer pre-season games, especially since that would mean that this coming Sunday would more than likely be Week One.

I don't care for the pre-season because I don't really care who wins and can't get wrapped up in the game like I would during the regular season. I just want my team to look sharp and get out injury free, if they can do that, I don't care who wins. And if I could not worry about that kind of thing for two fewer weeks than I do now, I'd be all for that.

I think the extra games should be "place" games like the one most teams have in conference. For example, the Bears would not only play New Orleans, Seattle and Philadelphia; but they would also play two of the Indianapolis, New England and Baltimore group (since they are already playing San Diego). I was thinking about making them play all three but have an odd number of games doesn't seem right to me. So maybe you could eliminate whomever they played last year. So by that logic New England would be out and Chicago's extra games would be against Indianpolis and Baltimore because they were all 1st place finishers.

I also wouldn't just throw those games into the front of the schedule, I'd just mix them into the regular season schedule now, there would just be two more games.
Back to top Go down
http://chicagobearsreview.mypodcast.com
BBR-Greg

BBR-Greg

PostSubject: Re: What If There Were No Pre-Season??   What If There Were No Pre-Season?? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 1:44 am

whodeygal wrote:
Admittedly a shortened pre-season might not be such a bad idea. Fewer opportunities to watch starters get carted off the field while you whimper, "But he's on my fantasy team! Noooooo!"

Right. Injuries are going to happen in any game - meaningless or not. But it is just so annoying when the game means nothing and you lose a player for the season!!!!! Argh!

whodeygal wrote:
And how come you guys get booted out of the Forum-That-Must-Not-Be-Named, but not me?

Yeah, I have no idea. That was the other forum I posted this to. Can't we all just get along? (So far, I'm welcome in both places...) :)
Back to top Go down
whodeygal

whodeygal

Female Number of posts : 460

PostSubject: Re: What If There Were No Pre-Season??   What If There Were No Pre-Season?? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 1:57 am

Quote :
I think the extra games should be "place" games like the one most teams have in conference. For example, the Bears would not only play New Orleans, Seattle and Philadelphia; but they would also play two of the Indianapolis, New England and Baltimore group (since they are already playing San Diego). I was thinking about making them play all three but have an odd number of games doesn't seem right to me. So maybe you could eliminate whomever they played last year. So by that logic New England would be out and Chicago's extra games would be against Indianapolis and Baltimore because they were all 1st place finishers.
Yeah, what he said. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.hyacinthtucker.com/
meathorse

meathorse

PostSubject: Re: What If There Were No Pre-Season??   What If There Were No Pre-Season?? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 5:11 am

I'm a non-banned JakePlummer on "the other one", and I pushed buttons! Either I'm magic, or it's not as bad as it sounds Very Happy
Back to top Go down
drkmstr

drkmstr

Male Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2007-08-29

PostSubject: dumb idea   What If There Were No Pre-Season?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 10:56 pm

BBR boy what are you thinking... What fool would listen to your show anyway
Back to top Go down
http://www.buffalobillsreview.com
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

PostSubject: Re: What If There Were No Pre-Season??   What If There Were No Pre-Season?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 11:12 pm

drkmstr wrote:
BBR boy what are you thinking... What fool would listen to your show anyway

Well if it isn't Dave Drake....the optimism gave it away Laughing
Back to top Go down
BBR-Greg

BBR-Greg

PostSubject: Drake   What If There Were No Pre-Season?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 11:17 pm

That was pretty funny... making fun of his own show... :)
Back to top Go down
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

PostSubject: Re: What If There Were No Pre-Season??   What If There Were No Pre-Season?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 11:20 pm

Was my guess right then Greg?
Back to top Go down
BBR-Greg

BBR-Greg

PostSubject: Re: What If There Were No Pre-Season??   What If There Were No Pre-Season?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 11:27 pm

Well, it's anybody's guess who drkmstr is ... but take the vowels out of drake and you're left with drk... so...

And yes, the optimism does sorta give it away Wink
Back to top Go down
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

PostSubject: Re: What If There Were No Pre-Season??   What If There Were No Pre-Season?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 11:28 pm

Yea, i cheated and looked now. It's him. Welcome Dave. Laughing
Back to top Go down
drkmstr

drkmstr

PostSubject: yo   What If There Were No Pre-Season?? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 12:13 am

yes it is I, you sleuths are way to good. I just have to disagree with campbell because well it makes life more fun...

And he is wrong Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

PostSubject: Re: What If There Were No Pre-Season??   What If There Were No Pre-Season?? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 12:28 am

Drake, you're the one that won't even watch all the pre-season games! And you disagree? Damn you are evil
Back to top Go down
drkmstr

drkmstr

PostSubject: Re: What If There Were No Pre-Season??   What If There Were No Pre-Season?? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 1:05 am

Ryan Simmons wrote:
Drake, you're the one that won't even watch all the pre-season games! And you disagree? Damn you are evil

i watch the games (all be it on my tivo so i can skip through the fat) i even watched mnf...jaws rules
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What If There Were No Pre-Season??   What If There Were No Pre-Season?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What If There Were No Pre-Season??
Page 1 of 1