Sports Talk Underground Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sports Talk Underground Network

Welcome to the Sports Talk Underground Network Community Forum.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing...

Go down 
+9
jdburlin1022
bobwiley
Underground Dyer
rockhoppers
whodeygal
CardinalPackerHoosier
meathorse
dolphinsmakemecry
STUN.Ryan
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
dolphinsmakemecry

dolphinsmakemecry

Male Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2007-08-02

Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing...   Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 9:11 pm

Please share the justification. I don't want to roam to that board to find out. How can this be justified?
Back to top Go down
whodeygal

whodeygal

Female Number of posts : 460
Registration date : 2007-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing...   Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 9:35 pm

Someone mentioned that this sort of thing is fairly common; another set of podcasters auctioned off the right to sit and watch them do their fantasy draft.

So that makes it okay. Laughing

Fortunately, some folks are still calling it odd, so we're definitely not alone in our thinking here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hyacinthtucker.com/
Underground Dyer
Host
Underground Dyer

Male Number of posts : 483

PostSubject: Re: Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing...   Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 9:42 pm

The only justification I can see in this is the booth costs $200, and they want to cut down on what it is going to cost them.

I find it disrespectful to their listeners that they would auction off the privilege to hang out with them. This is not how you show your listeners that you appreciate that they would give you an hour of their time to listen to your show. It just isn't.

I just can't get over the arrogance of this whole thing. If they would have come out and said, "Hey guys, we're going to get a booth at the Hard Rock in Vegas for opening day. Come out and join us," I don't think Simmons and I say a word about this. In fact, I think we might applaud the idea. But these guys are not only going to make you pay for the chance to hang out with them, they are having you bid for it.

These guys are looking at this all wrong. Simmons and I would look at something like this as an investment in our show. Rent the booth, invite you guys out, by a round of drinks, maybe some appetizers and have a great time watching all of the games. Hoping you guys would spread the word about the show to any and all that you know would be our incentive and at least you guys would have some incentive to make the trip or to come hang out with us. Where is the incentive here? They think that they ARE the incentive and that's where I have my issues with this.
Back to top Go down
http://chicagobearsreview.mypodcast.com
whodeygal

whodeygal

PostSubject: Re: Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing...   Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 9:46 pm

Larry D wrote:
But these guys are not only going to make you pay for the chance to hang out with them, they are having you bid for it.
Plus you're totally on your own for drinks. Man, that blows.
Back to top Go down
rockhoppers

Male Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2007-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing...   Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 9:58 pm

It is a strange one - I can see that they have shelled out for the booth - do they really think that if they said "if you are in Vegas come find us" that they would be inundated by listeners with a chance to hang with them.

I guess they think they are really selling something valuable, I don't expect that anyone would bid on this but to me it smacks of a classless thing to do, either go to Vegas have a good time and tell the listeners about it on their week 1 show, or get a booth, hell hire the whole damn bar, tell your listeners to head over and have a party drunken

I guess I don't like the line Please note: drinks are not included! ;-) - I think it is the smilie that gets me - but the whole thing is just wrong Mad
Back to top Go down
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

Male Number of posts : 569

PostSubject: Re: Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing...   Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 10:07 pm

i don't care if the booth cost money or not. Like larry said, they're making people BID on it. It's not like, hey this cost us this much we're looking for two others to cover the cost.
Back to top Go down
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

PostSubject: Re: Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing...   Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 11:29 pm

I'd love to see Greg try to promote this on BBR. Dave Drake would go ape sh#t over something like that. I guarantee it. He probably wouldn't even believe it's real.
Back to top Go down
meathorse

meathorse

Male Number of posts : 410

PostSubject: Re: Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing...   Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 12:24 am

I listened to the end of their latest show and they bring up the eBay booth. There's a whole new dimension of lame that wasn't mentioned anywhere in print.

The "winners" have to leave their booth before the night game because a couple other guys are coming over at that time.
Back to top Go down
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

PostSubject: Re: Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing...   Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 12:29 am

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?

Are you serious? So you are paying for a time slot at the booth? UNBELIEVABLE!!!!! So, for all we know those guys that meet up later helped pay for a spot at that booth. Oh I'd love to hear the lemmings defend this.
Back to top Go down
Underground Dyer
Host
Underground Dyer

PostSubject: Re: Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing...   Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 12:42 am

I'm starting to get a feel for what it's like to be Simmons watching me fly off the handle about things. lol!

But I totally echo his thoughts on this issue. This is a new low for these guys and that just makes it even lower.

That's unreal.
Back to top Go down
meathorse

meathorse

PostSubject: Re: Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing...   Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 12:51 am

I'm so banned.
Back to top Go down
whodeygal

whodeygal

PostSubject: Re: Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing...   Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 1:41 am

OHMIGOD!

I just read your post over there. You, sir, are my hero.

May I worship you now?
Back to top Go down
Underground Dyer
Host
Underground Dyer

PostSubject: Re: Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing...   Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 1:45 am

What did he say? What did he say?

I;m banned from over there so I can't go check.

Someone quote it or something, I must know things.
Back to top Go down
whodeygal

whodeygal

PostSubject: Re: Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing...   Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 1:48 am

Oh Baby, hold on to your hat.

Quote :
I hear that the "winners" are asked to leave the booth they bid on before the day is done. This is too much.

Quote :
I think you are the only one! They have 10K+ listeners so everyone can't fit in that booth!

I think it's already been made clear I'm not the only one with a problem.

Sure, it's possible that more people would want to join them in the booth than there are seats available. But this isn't about limited space. If that was all, take names and have a drawing.

What they chose to do instead is disgusting to me.

Jeff and Steven... if any of your listeners are willing to fly out to Las Freaking Vegas on short notice to meet you, be flattered! Feel honored! Don't charge them for the privilege! Who do you think you are?

To those who will respond with a "they're simply trying to cover booth expenses", that's false as well. It would be a flat fee and not an auction. They're trying to drive the price up and make some cash on this. And then, after paying for your part of the booth, they kick you out before the night game? How dare you ask someone to pay for their seat and then kick them out before the show is over!

This isn't about space constraints, or about chipping in, it's about Jeff and Steven putting themselves up on pedestals and asking their listeners to kiss their feet.

This might be the act that gets me banned too.
Back to top Go down
Underground Dyer
Host
Underground Dyer

PostSubject: Re: Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing...   Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 1:50 am

Bravo Meathorse, well put.
Back to top Go down
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

PostSubject: Re: Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing...   Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 2:34 am

10,000 listeners? That's odd. Last time I checked it was 700 + or - per Steven's own admittance. Anyway, carry on.

LEMMINGS! LEMMINGS! LEMMINGS!
Back to top Go down
meathorse

meathorse

PostSubject: Re: Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing...   Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 4:46 am

I'm glad you liked it. I felt like a total dick after posting it. Then after re-listening to the last 5 minutes of their podcast... I felt a little better :)

Another tidbit from it was when they first brought it up, Jeff says "We are inviting... ah... inviting's a bit strong. We are welcoming any two people that want to come and are willing to give us some cash..."
Man... who would want this? All things aside it's just set up to be so awkward from the start.

Also, my post is still up and I'm not banned. Props for that, cause I really was a total dick about it.
Back to top Go down
CardinalPackerHoosier

CardinalPackerHoosier

Male Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2007-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing...   Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 4:50 am

Oh fun...I'm gonna go talk to these legends.

Actually no I'm not, screw that. I just remembered I had a life...sort of.

Last edited by on Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://cardinalnationjournal.blogspot.com
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

PostSubject: Re: Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing...   Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 4:52 am

CardinalPackerHoosier wrote:
Oh fun...I'm gonna go talk to these legends.

Laughing Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

PostSubject: Re: Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing...   Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 5:03 am

Somebody's questioning the big fish and he's pissed. His comment on his board is unbelieveable. He sounds like a 10-year-old. It just blows my mind. "Well, WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?" Laughing

Uhh, I don't know. Someone with some intelligence who has a job, a wife, and wouldn't blow 50 bucks to sit with "podcast celebrities" and then be kicked out of the booth I bid on for the night game.
Back to top Go down
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

PostSubject: Re: Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing...   Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 5:03 am

meathorse, now you are starting to see the types of things we dealt with behind the scenes. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
CardinalPackerHoosier

CardinalPackerHoosier

Male Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2007-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing...   Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 5:09 am

In all honesty, I do want Dyer's autograph. Simmons, don't be offended, but I can't honestly ask someone for their autograph after I regularly kicked their ass between the ages of 4 and 10.
Back to top Go down
http://cardinalnationjournal.blogspot.com
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

PostSubject: Re: Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing...   Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 5:15 am

Understandable.
Back to top Go down
jdburlin1022

jdburlin1022

Male Number of posts : 107

PostSubject: Re: Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing...   Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 5:48 am

LMAO, i heard it on show and didn't think anyhting of it, but now that I think about it, its pretty darn egotistical. talk about lemmings there's a thread over there asking if they should be in the HOF. I sure hope they are joking.
Back to top Go down
meathorse

meathorse

PostSubject: Re: Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing...   Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 6:10 am

Which one of you guys is DabearsXX over at RandR?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing...   Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Boy this makes the autographs look like nothing...
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sports Talk Underground Network :: Sports Discussions :: Off The Subject-
Jump to: