Sports Talk Underground Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sports Talk Underground Network

Welcome to the Sports Talk Underground Network Community Forum.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

AL East and playoffs

Go down 
+2
CardinalPackerHoosier
rockhoppers
6 posters
AuthorMessage
rockhoppers

Male Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2007-07-15

AL East and playoffs Empty
PostSubject: AL East and playoffs   AL East and playoffs Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 9:30 pm

I guess most of you on here are following the NL Central but I think both Max and myself are Red Sox fans, now just 2.5 games in first place.

I knew that the Yankees would close the gap but we seem to be in a tail spin at the moment and Gagne implosion last night and Schiling giving Jeter a plumb homer at the weekend has really got me dreading going on the internet each morning to check the scores. Anyone else following this race and care to make a stab at the playoff line ups with a fortnight to go?

AL
Red Sox (1) v Angels (3)
Indians (2) v Yankees (wildcard)

NL
D'Backs (1) v Phillies (wildcard)
Mets (2) v Cubs (3)
Back to top Go down
CardinalPackerHoosier

CardinalPackerHoosier

Male Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2007-08-11

PostSubject: Re: AL East and playoffs   AL East and playoffs Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 12:52 am

Well first it's too early to say what teams will be in it, especially in the NL. Then who knows about the rankings. I'll be all about making predictions in a couple weeks though.

After the Red Sox won finally the World Series in '04 (I know all too well that they won in 2004 damnit), you thought maybe some of the "anxiety"-like state of the fans about the Yankees might go away. But it's clear that isn't the case. They are clearly intimidated by playing the Yankees. They probably have the better team this season and definitely have been more effective overall this year but the Yankees seem to thrive off playing them. I watched Sunday night's game. Real good match between Clemens and Schilling. Then Derek Jeter shows why he's so valuable. Schilling was looking as good as ever 'til he threw an inside and up fastball to Jeter. He obviously doesn't have the speed he used to. Neither does Clemens, though.

By rule, I usually want at least either the Yankees or Sox NOT to be in the playoffs but that may not be the case this year. And I would say if the Angels and Indians are the other teams, it will be very fun times. I picked the Indians to go to the World Series before the season started so I might stick with that pick.
Back to top Go down
http://cardinalnationjournal.blogspot.com
Damon Albarn

Male Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2007-09-15

PostSubject: Re: AL East and playoffs   AL East and playoffs Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 2:55 am

rockhoppers wrote:
I guess most of you on here are following the NL Central but I think both Max and myself are Red Sox fans, now just 2.5 games in first place.

Make that 1.5, hillbilly.
Back to top Go down
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

Male Number of posts : 569
Registration date : 2007-07-14

PostSubject: Re: AL East and playoffs   AL East and playoffs Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 5:07 am

I'm not getting the hillbilly reference scratch
Back to top Go down
CardinalPackerHoosier

CardinalPackerHoosier

PostSubject: Re: AL East and playoffs   AL East and playoffs Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 5:25 am

must be a Yankees fan...
Back to top Go down
Damon Albarn

PostSubject: Re: AL East and playoffs   AL East and playoffs Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 11:19 am

CardinalPackerHoosier wrote:
must be a Yankees fan...

You should change your screen name to "Sherlock Holmes" or, perhaps, "Hercule Poirot."
Back to top Go down
CardinalPackerHoosier

CardinalPackerHoosier

PostSubject: Re: AL East and playoffs   AL East and playoffs Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 6:21 pm

lol!

Poor Yankee fan, you haven't had a championship in 7 years. That organization is REALLY struggling.
Back to top Go down
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

PostSubject: Re: AL East and playoffs   AL East and playoffs Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 8:08 pm

Damon, I still have no clue where you are going with all of this.
Back to top Go down
rockhoppers

PostSubject: Re: AL East and playoffs   AL East and playoffs Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 8:26 pm

Damon Albarn wrote:
must be a Yankees fan...

You should change your screen name to "Sherlock Holmes" or, perhaps, "Hercule Poirot."

He may be a Yankee fan but he has (i would guess) a decent taste in music
Back to top Go down
Damon Albarn

PostSubject: Re: AL East and playoffs   AL East and playoffs Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 9:13 pm

All kidding aside, I have a great deal of respect for both the St. Louis Cardinals and the hated Boston Red Sox. For the most part, they are winning organizations. It is pitiful perennial losers like the Cubs that I can not stand.

Can't we all just get along?

STUN.Ryan: What did you think my initial post was, a Doctoral thesis? Are you looking for some deep meaning in a little friendly jab at a Red Sox fan?
Back to top Go down
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

PostSubject: Re: AL East and playoffs   AL East and playoffs Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 11:43 pm

Na,m I'm up for friendly jabs, but I've never heard a Red Sox fan called a hillbilly? Maybe that was in reference to CPH and I didn't catch that. Plus you're talking to a Red Sox fan that lives in England Laughing Far from hillbilly.
Back to top Go down
Damon Albarn

PostSubject: Re: AL East and playoffs   AL East and playoffs Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 11:58 pm

STUN.Ryan wrote:
Na,m I'm up for friendly jabs, but I've never heard a Red Sox fan called a hillbilly? Maybe that was in reference to CPH and I didn't catch that. Plus you're talking to a Red Sox fan that lives in England Laughing Far from hillbilly.

It would appear highly unlikely that I was referencing CPH, as I have no idea what (or who) that is.

Rockhopper, my fine English friend, I apologize for confusing you with a mentally deranged resident of Kennedy's Commonwealth. Where were you on October 2, 1978, guv'nor?
Back to top Go down
CardinalPackerHoosier

CardinalPackerHoosier

PostSubject: Re: AL East and playoffs   AL East and playoffs Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 12:36 am

Damon Albarn wrote:
All kidding aside, I have a great deal of respect for both the St. Louis Cardinals and the hated Boston Red Sox. For the most part, they are winning organizations. It is pitiful perennial losers like the Cubs that I can not stand.

Right on.
Back to top Go down
rockhoppers

PostSubject: Re: AL East and playoffs   AL East and playoffs Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 1:21 am

Damon Albarn wrote:
Where were you on October 2, 1978, guv'nor?

Looking at our ages I guess we were both had no different concerns than the going ons at Fenway, how about talking about say October 17th a couple of years back Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Damon Albarn

PostSubject: Re: AL East and playoffs   AL East and playoffs Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 1:26 am

rockhoppers wrote:
Damon Albarn wrote:
Where were you on October 2, 1978, guv'nor?

Looking at our ages I guess we were both had no different concerns than the going ons at Fenway, how about talking about say October 17th a couple of years back Very Happy

October 17, 2005? I'm pretty sure I went to work, got home, kissed my wife and played with my children. I don't get it.
Back to top Go down
Underground Dyer
Host
Underground Dyer

Male Number of posts : 483

PostSubject: Re: AL East and playoffs   AL East and playoffs Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 2:52 am

I'm pretty sure he's talking about October 17, 2004 which, I'm guessing is the day that the Red Sox sent the Yankees packing in the ALCS after being down 0-3.
Back to top Go down
http://chicagobearsreview.mypodcast.com
Damon Albarn

PostSubject: Re: AL East and playoffs   AL East and playoffs Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 3:06 am

Larry D wrote:
I'm pretty sure he's talking about October 17, 2004 which, I'm guessing is the day that the Red Sox sent the Yankees packing in the ALCS after being down 0-3.

With all due respect, he did say "a couple of years back." I suppose that in the metric system, "a couple" might mean three.

In any case, it wouldn't have mattered, because I presently have no recollection of the Series to which you refer.
Back to top Go down
CardinalPackerHoosier

CardinalPackerHoosier

PostSubject: Re: AL East and playoffs   AL East and playoffs Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 3:09 am

Damon, CPH refers to me (CardinalPackerHoosier). Ryan was making the weak reference/joke that I might be a hillbilly. First off, I have no idea how he came to that conclusion since you were obviously talking to rockhoppers (who maybe we distinguished was not a hillbilly after all). Secondly, I don't meet the requirements of being a hillbilly nor would I want to.

Don't you love Jason Marquis, Cubs fans? Yeah that's the Marquis I know from his St. Louis days that pitched today.

BTW, I got the 2006 World Series collecters edition DVDs today. I guess I was feeling nostalgic because the current season seems...less than satisfactory to say the least for the Cardinals. Anyways, it's done fantastically. Picture and audio quality is outstanding. 7 games from last year's NLCS and WS. OK, no one cares but me.
Back to top Go down
Damon Albarn

PostSubject: Re: AL East and playoffs   AL East and playoffs Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 3:17 am

Don't you love Jason Marquis, Cubs fans? Yeah that's the Marquis I know from his St. Louis days that pitched today.

Sadly, it would appear that the Redbirds could have used Marquis this year, despite the fact that he wasn't worthy of their '06 Playoff Roster.

I have an Uncle who lives in Kirkwood. He tells me it is almost a certainty that Jockety (sp?) and Larussa are leaving. If so, who fills their prodigious footwear?
Back to top Go down
CardinalPackerHoosier

CardinalPackerHoosier

PostSubject: Re: AL East and playoffs   AL East and playoffs Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 3:23 am

It's still up in the air.

National media all seem to say La Russa will go but the St. Louis media says they think he'll stay. I hope they stay of course. I think it matters a lot what Dave Duncan will want to do.

And there's no rumors of anyone else going to STL.
Back to top Go down
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

PostSubject: Re: AL East and playoffs   AL East and playoffs Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 3:28 am

Joe Girardi, the next St. Louis Cardinals manager

I swear if it was Ryne Sandberg I don't know what the hell I would do with myself.
Back to top Go down
CardinalPackerHoosier

CardinalPackerHoosier

PostSubject: Re: AL East and playoffs   AL East and playoffs Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 3:30 am

If La Russa actually did leave (first off, I'd cry for about a week), I would think Jose Oquendo would be a logical option. Been the third base coach forever and has interviewed with many other clubs for head spots. Still loved in STL...
Back to top Go down
NSJ

NSJ

Male Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2007-10-03

PostSubject: Re: AL East and playoffs   AL East and playoffs Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 12:24 am

It's still up in the air.

National media all seem to say La Russa will go but the St. Louis media says they think he'll stay. I hope they stay of course. I think it matters a lot what Dave Duncan will want to do.

And there's no rumors of anyone else going to STL.

I bet LaRussa ends up in Cincinnati. We'll see.
Back to top Go down
CardinalPackerHoosier

CardinalPackerHoosier

PostSubject: Re: AL East and playoffs   AL East and playoffs Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 1:32 am

It is safe to say if La Russa doesn't come back to the Cardinals that everyone in the local media and organization would be surprised, if not shocked.

I say that judging on everything I've heard, read and seen the past two weeks from players, Walt Jocketty, DeWitt (owner) and TV/newspapers.

He's always waited 'til after the end of the season to re-sign. I think there's more questions this time because he's been there 12 years and this was a "nightmarish" season off the field.

The Reds and Mariners are rumored to have interest, though.
Back to top Go down
CardinalPackerHoosier

CardinalPackerHoosier

PostSubject: Re: AL East and playoffs   AL East and playoffs Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 1:42 am

Jocketty leaving might change some things, though.

He had a good 13 years. It sounds like there were some personality and philosophy problems.

This board's kinda dead lately...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AL East and playoffs   AL East and playoffs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AL East and playoffs
Page 1 of 1