Sports Talk Underground Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sports Talk Underground Network

Welcome to the Sports Talk Underground Network Community Forum.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Episode 14: Available Now

Go down 
+4
whodeygal
STUN.Ryan
jdburlin1022
Underground Dyer
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Underground Dyer
Host
Underground Dyer

Male Number of posts : 483
Registration date : 2007-07-14

Episode 14: Available Now Empty
PostSubject: Episode 14: Available Now   Episode 14: Available Now Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2007 9:44 pm

This week I'll be covering the Peter King column in my Main Event, I'll add my thoughts on the RARN mess (Simmons I promise I'll play nice), I'll speak on the Mike Vick situation, give a condensed summer movies review and anything else I can come up with between now and then.

Send any e-mails to: UndergroundDyer@yahoo.com

The show will be up tomorrow morning for all to hear.
Back to top Go down
http://chicagobearsreview.mypodcast.com
Underground Dyer
Host
Underground Dyer

PostSubject: Re: Episode 14: Available Now   Episode 14: Available Now Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 7:54 pm

Episode 14 is uploading as we speak and should be available for mass consumption very soon.

I covered Peter King's power rankings, talked a little Benoit, commented on the RARN mess and spoke on Michael Vick and what should happen to him if this all runs out to be true.

All of that and the most unpopular 16-year old girl in London. Very Happy

Check it out!
Back to top Go down
Underground Dyer
Host
Underground Dyer

PostSubject: Re: Episode 14: Available Now   Episode 14: Available Now Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 8:56 pm

Here is the link to my new show on the My Pod Cast Website:

http://larryfromtheunderground.mypodcast.com/index.html
Back to top Go down
jdburlin1022

jdburlin1022

Male Number of posts : 107

PostSubject: Re: Episode 14: Available Now   Episode 14: Available Now Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 9:10 pm

Yea Peter King is dumb, I agree with some of what he said, some of what you said, and disagree with both. I'll put my opinion out when you put your rankings out.

About that girl, i have no problem with her doing that. If that is what she wants to do, and it's part of her faith, then why not?

I wanna blow up a cloud affraid Twisted Evil. Heres an idea, make the stadium indoors. did they ever think of that.

I saw that Beckham comercial and wanted to throw the clicker threw the t.v because I could care less(good thing I actually didn't do that). He will do some help, but Soccer is not a sport that thrives here.

Overall good show

OBTW the STUN promo was hilarious lol!
Back to top Go down
Underground Dyer
Host
Underground Dyer

PostSubject: Re: Episode 14: Available Now   Episode 14: Available Now Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 9:22 pm

I don't have any problem with her doing what she is doing either. I just presented it the way I did because when I read the headline of the column the first thought that popped into my head was like I said on the show "this has to be the most unpopular 16-year old girl in London." Not because she's on this crusade, but because she's a proud virgin.

I'd expect you of all people to understand JD with you being 16 and all. When I was that age there were only two things on my mind: sex and football (come to think of it, that's all I think of now.....anyway). And if there is a girl out there who is pronouncing that she is a virgin and will be until she gets married, you may respect that girl, you might even tell her so.....but you aren't asking her out. Plain and simple.

In high school, it was all about scoring. Whether it be with girls or with touchdowns. That's what my world was all about back in the day. Twisted Evil

Glad you liked the STUN promo. I tried to give it an epic sound and modeled it after the guy telling King Leonitas' story in 300. Even took a crack at doing his voice as well. I think it turned out alright.
Back to top Go down
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

Male Number of posts : 569

PostSubject: Re: Episode 14: Available Now   Episode 14: Available Now Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 9:55 pm

Lots of disagreements from me on this show partner...

I thought you were a bit harsh on Peter King to be honest. I'd say, with the exception of about five teams, King's picks were somewhat in the ballpark. These are pure opinion columns, and he had a few surprises as we all will when we discuss who we like and dislike. The Lions at 13 has me scratching my head, but this is the NFL where anything is possible.

Enjoyed the opening. Pretty funny.

Enjoyed your Mike Vick talk. Knowing you, I knew you were going to go crazy on this topic.

As for the 16-year-old girl, I wouldn't dub her the most unpopular girl in school by any means. I think its great that high schoolers are taking the stand to abstain from sex at that point in their life. Hopefully she is applauded. I can tell you that plenty of the boys and girls who outwardly say they will refrain from sex in high school are plenty popular, at least where I taught. A lot of these people can be, or are your prom kings and queens, your student council members, and your athletes. Many of them aren't as well, but I never remember someone not being popular for saying no to sex...at least where I'm from.

Thanks for the plug. I realy got to be better about this.
Back to top Go down
Underground Dyer
Host
Underground Dyer

PostSubject: Re: Episode 14: Available Now   Episode 14: Available Now Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 10:06 pm

C'mon people it was a joke!! Rolling Eyes

I applaud her and her vow of abstinance, I really do. When I was her age, I didn't have her conviction and was all about treating my virginity like a disease I couldn't wait to get rid of, as did pretty much every guy I hung out with back then. She would have certainly been unpopular in that respect with us, but I would have had a great deal of respect for her because she is doing something she believes in. I'm not saying that this defines her or anything, I'm just saying that 16 year olds, boys and girls, are generally pretty horny creatures and its rare to see one like her these days.
Back to top Go down
whodeygal

whodeygal

Female Number of posts : 460

PostSubject: Re: Episode 14: Available Now   Episode 14: Available Now Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 12:25 am

I loved the opening. It was goofy as hell. I laughed out loud, at my desk, in the middle of the office. I also laughed out loud as I counted the number of times your head almost exploded during the Mike Vick rant. I think you should have gone balls-out and slammed face first into that "explicit" tag. You know you wanted to.

Well, if nothing else, I totally disagree with King's insistence on putting the Bengals in 17th place. I know that pre-season power rankings don't really mean squat, but he has such an anti-Bengals bias, it's ridiculous. Especially below Detroit, and the Steelers, with the new head coach who's just beginning to get his system in place. Put the crack pipe down and slowly back away. His brains were fried in the sun on his vacation, methinks.

Actually, purity vows aren't as rare as you might think. Recently, there's been a resurgence of teens making the decision to hold onto their virginity until marriage. Of course, some of them aren't going to make it, but a good portion of them are, and are very strict about it. They do little beyond kissing, if that.

I commend them, and I will encourage my children to be the same way. Not the way my mother tried to do it, with intimidation, but rationally, with common sense. Don't get me wrong, sex is great stuff. Really great. Really, reeeeeally - oh, sorry. Very Happy But, it also carries a lot of risk, both physical and emotional, and jumping into it before you're ready to handle all of those risks is foolish. How I wish someone had said something as simple as that to me when I was 16.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hyacinthtucker.com/
Underground Dyer
Host
Underground Dyer

PostSubject: Re: Episode 14: Available Now   Episode 14: Available Now Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 12:34 am

Life really is filled with lots of crazy twists and turns.

With all I talked about last night, the 90 seconds I spent talking about an abstinant teen is what's getting the most talk today. I think that's hilarious!

Just goes to show, you never know. lol!
Back to top Go down
whodeygal

whodeygal

PostSubject: Re: Episode 14: Available Now   Episode 14: Available Now Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 12:42 am

Probably because it was the only thing you talked about that hasn't been discussed to some extent on the boards. :)

You could always talk about sickening dog sodomy the next time around. I really hope you don't, though. No
Back to top Go down
Underground Dyer
Host
Underground Dyer

PostSubject: Re: Episode 14: Available Now   Episode 14: Available Now Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 12:49 am

I don't love my dogs like that, so the subject is very unlikely to come up.

Besides I had very mixed feelings about that dog sodomy article.

On one hand, it is a horrific and tragic thing that happened to that poor kid. On the other hand the sick f**k in me couldn't help but laugh when I read the line "my dog is raping my baby!" Would you believe it if someone came and said that to you? it's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
Back to top Go down
whodeygal

whodeygal

PostSubject: Re: Episode 14: Available Now   Episode 14: Available Now Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 12:58 am

If it makes you feel any better, I laughed at that line too. Kind of a lot. Embarassed

I couldn't help it; it was just so tabloid, in that classic "Dingoes ate my baby," "My husband was taken over by the ghost of Richard Nixon" sort of way. I don't know if I'd have believed it right away either. But I probably still would have gone, because I am inexplicably drawn to train wrecks. I know, I'm horrible.
Back to top Go down
meathorse

meathorse

Male Number of posts : 410

PostSubject: Re: Episode 14: Available Now   Episode 14: Available Now Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 5:33 am

Good to see I'm not the only one that laughs when a 2 year old gets sodomized.

I much enjoyed Mr King's rankings. He may have mentioned why I do, can't quite recall...
All the millions of NFL power rankings on the internets right now look the same. Start with last year's record, shift up or down 2 places at most based on off season moves, regurgitate. As crazy as the Detroit in 13 is... I love that he did it and tried to defend it. I don't need another "#28 Detroit, ha ha they suck balls."

Also, if any of you banned people want anything off the RandR boards let me know. I'll bring it over Razz
Back to top Go down
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

PostSubject: Re: Episode 14: Available Now   Episode 14: Available Now Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 5:47 am

I can't imagine one thing I'd want to know going on the forum, but thanks.
Back to top Go down
thestos

thestos

Male Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2007-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Episode 14: Available Now   Episode 14: Available Now Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 8:04 am

great show Larry. Good summation of the RandR forum mess.

I had a big problem with their pay fantasy leagues like you did so I'm glad you got that out there for everyone. The funny thing about those pay leagues is that because they are giving out those dud prizes, the standard of those leagues will be very poor and full of noobs since no one with even a minimal amount of experience playing FF for money would hand over $30/$20 for a league where they can't even win their money back.

hey if they want to use these fantasy leagues to raise money for their podcast, that's their choice......but they will be playing FF with people who have no idea.......which is probably how they like it......Miranda is a big fish in an extremely small pond.
Back to top Go down
http://kurtrudder.blogspot.com/
bigd77

bigd77

Male Number of posts : 8

PostSubject: Re: Episode 14: Available Now   Episode 14: Available Now Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 10:09 am

just to add my two cents in on that 16 yr. old girl....when i was 16 and i knew that there was a girl like that...thats the one i go after. i would try and pluck that flower and make it mine. Twisted Evil Wink cheers .
Back to top Go down
rockhoppers

Male Number of posts : 68

PostSubject: Re: Episode 14: Available Now   Episode 14: Available Now Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 3:34 pm

Caught the show this morning Larry good stuff...

Loved the trailers you guys are putting out, but that one was the funniest yet.

As for the RARN mess, as I have said since your shows stopped appearing you are better of out, but lets draw a line under it now we don't want MeatHorse getting himself banned over there for associating with the likes of STU Laughing

Anyway, your friend and mine old Goldenballs Beckham himself, I was under the impression and I could go and look it up but he was earning at LA Galaxy around 1,000,000 bucks a week (although that could be with endorsement and the such like).

As for the 16 year old girl, I saw the headlines but didn't read the story, I went to an all Boys boarding school so at 16 I can remember being extremely frustrated.

Oh and one more thing, I struggle with your justice system (in terms of understanding it I am not on the run hiding over here) but the high court is not the last stop which I think the supreme court is with you.

Larry - listen to your dad he has wise words, but I am glad he added the when I was 16 part otherwise thatwould be wrong cheers
Back to top Go down
meathorse

meathorse

PostSubject: Re: Episode 14: Available Now   Episode 14: Available Now Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 6:56 pm

Quote :
As for the RARN mess, as I have said since your shows stopped appearing you are better of out, but lets draw a line under it now we don't want MeatHorse getting himself banned over there for associating with the likes of STU
Awww... that's sweet Cool
Surely no one is scouring STU forums and banning anyone who associates with both shows.... right?

OMG! Big Brother is watching me! Say something nice!

(seriously though) I did forget to defend the autographed shirt prize thingies. I'll bet lots of their listeners would get a kick out of them. Also, in their FF show following league creation, they stated that if you won a shirt and didn't want it signed, that's fine by them.

Anyway... back to more important things... like 16 year old virgin girls...
They're a myth, like Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster and Canada. Purity symbols? Puh-shaw! My wife wore white at our wedding but I knew better.

Also... it's not like the ring was what was keeping her an alleged virgin. Jewelry is jewelry. Rules is rules. Cough it up, future slut.

Quote :
when i was 16 and i knew that there was a girl like that...thats the one i go after. i would try and pluck that flower and make it mine.
Ha! Yeah, see there? All a ring does is make you a bigger target.
Back to top Go down
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

PostSubject: Re: Episode 14: Available Now   Episode 14: Available Now Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 6:57 pm

bigd, now that's the Dyer spirit I was expecting. Why didn't your son follow suit on that? Laughing
Back to top Go down
rockhoppers

Male Number of posts : 68

PostSubject: Re: Episode 14: Available Now   Episode 14: Available Now Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 8:41 pm

Whilst on this thread - Those crazy Chinese...

Actually the science behind the idea stands up it is just putting it into practice where the problems come in. As I understand it the Chinese spend around $100,000,000 with some 2000 scientists involved in their weather modification programs - mainly for agriculture not to make the opening ceremony of the Olympics look good granted.

The Chinese have been going crazy with ensuring that Beijing is the most successful Olympics ever. I think if we are to call them out it should be the fact they have displaced 1,000,000 people to build the stadiums and village for the games...

Anyway back to where we were
Back to top Go down
Underground Dyer
Host
Underground Dyer

PostSubject: Re: Episode 14: Available Now   Episode 14: Available Now Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 8:43 pm

As far as the RARN guys go, I never listen to that train wreck of a show so I would have never heard them say that they wouldn't sign it if they didn't want them to. Still, I would rather my listeners ask, then assume you'd want it.

And to echo what Simmons said about having any of you guys "spy" over there or saying anything we aren't allowed to say because we're banned...don't bother. It's just not worth the effort because the only reason I would take the fight to them is because I want them to fight back and they aren't interested in a fight. They took the coward's way out and banned us, so be it, it's over. We wanted out of RARN, we're out, period.

Quote :
Miranda is a big fish in an extremely small pond

The pond is actually much bigger than Miranda thinks it is, but that's only because he refuses to go swimming in the deep end. He keeps himself in shallow waters where things are a lot more managable and has no predators that he might have to fight off.

And finally for the record.....

When I was 16, my girlfriend was a year younger than me. So I was feeding my sexual beast with younger meat thank you very much. Twisted Evil And after she got her first taste of the big dog, she kept coming back to my yard for more so I didn't have time to pursue other.....flowers.

How's that for Dyer spirit Simmons Laughing
Back to top Go down
whodeygal

whodeygal

PostSubject: Re: Episode 14: Available Now   Episode 14: Available Now Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 8:57 pm

Good God, the testosterone. What a lovely smell. Rolling Eyes

Nothing like listening to a bunch of men talking about their alleged sexual prowess.

Sleep
Back to top Go down
thestos

thestos

Male Number of posts : 42

PostSubject: Re: Episode 14: Available Now   Episode 14: Available Now Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2007 6:34 pm

It appears that I have been banned from the RARN forums too. Below is the last post I made but I'll give you some background first.

During a recent fantasy football show, they had a guest on to talk FF. IDP leagues came up and Jeff said that IDP's sounded tedious. Miranda commented briefly that he played in one 6 years ago but not since.

I made a post in their fantasy football forum asking why there is no love for IDP leagues, said Jeff should either back up his tedious comment with something of substance or not comment on it at all if he doesn't know anything about it. I made a joke that Miranda probably went 6-8 and missed the playoffs in his league 6 years ago.

There was one response from a guy saying he was also disappointed with the tedious comment, myself and this bloke have talked IDP's on that forums and had a good conversation, most of which would have been beneficial to people willing to learn more about this aspect of FF. There was a couple of comments from the lemmings, saying Jeff making comments was just doing his job to which i responded by saying that if Jeff doesn't know anything about a topic, he shouldn't open his mouth about it just so we can hear noise come out.

Miranda finally responded as you can see from his quotes below, not happy that he is being called out for criticism.

The thing about it is that I get little to nothing out of listening to their fantasy football shows, it's directed towards the noob who wants to play 10 team yahoo redraft leagues.....or RARN leagues. I had recently decided not the bother reading the rest of their forum because there wasn't anything of interest their to me, there are only about half a dozen posters who i rated anyway. I was reading and making comments regularly in the fantasy football forum because I felt like I had something to offer the people there. I was not gaining any knowledge from being a part of that forum, I was sharing my knowledge to hopefully broaden the horizons and help educate the numerous fantasy football noobs who were hanging out there asking many questions. I even gave enough links and hints as to the FF website I subscribe to which has close to the best FF info on the internet.

I have not since brought up STU on their forums, I have not been critical of their fantasy leagues on their forums........christ knows I wanted to but I bit my tongue. All I have done is ask for some justification for comments made on their show along with offering a different opinion to one Steven Miranda.

So I'm done with their forum and their shows for that matter...and I won't lose sleep over it for a moment. I think Larry is right about Steven wanting to stay in the shallow end and that's what he wants from his listeners, he doesn't want to them to really learn about fantasy football, he needs them to stay with him in the shallow end and not venture out and learn and experience all that fantasy football has to offer.

read the below post and see for yourself.....

stemiranda wrote:

That being said, I don't think your criticism of both Jeff and I are valid. We simply said we do not play and do not like to play IDP Fantasy Football. You telling me we can't tell you what we like and don't like?

thestos wrote:

Don't recall saying anything of the sort. What I wanted.....and I'm repeating this now for the third time was some justification and clarification on why Jeff thought IDP leagues might be tedious....since he made the comment in isolation and left it at that. A criticism needs to have some substance to it, something to back it up otherwise it sounds like you don't know anything about it and just don't like it.

IDP's are a part of FF and they are here to stay. Since you a trying to produce a FF show and you make comments that are critical to types of FF leagues, you should have some more reasons besides the fact that you don't like them if you want your listeners to learn something about FF.

Are you also going to make disparaging comments about auction leagues, keeper leagues, dynasty leagues, survivor leagues, salary cap leagues, college fantasy football leagues too?

stemiranda wrote:

I gave up the IDP league for several reasons.
1) The drafts are much longer since you are drafting DLs, LBs, CBs and Safites.
2) Trades get messy - who is to say a trade is balanced as there is no way to really know the value of a defensive player vs an offensive player.
3) I love offense, that is where the excitement is and those are the players I like to draft and watch.
4) You cannot play in an IDP league and have several other leagues as I do - it becomes to difficult to manage.

Anyways, all this to say we are working on a time to have Mike Neese, the IDP specialist on the show soon, even though Jeff and I could care less about it. That should show you that we understand that other folks dig it and like it and want to hear about it.

thestos wrote:

I'm not going to try and convince you to like IDP leagues but I am going to try and share these aspects of fantasy football with your listeners so my comments on your 4 points are to them:

1) correct, drafts are going to be longer.....IMO drafting is one of the most exciting parts of the fantasy football season so a longer draft is great.

2)This comes down to having a knowledge of fantasy football and taking into account roster/starter numbers as well as scoring systems. You need to do this on offense as well so it's the same on defense. It's part of being a skillful fantasy footballer being able to work out the relative values of offensive and defensive players

3) I love offense too but as I said in my initial post, I get great enjoyment out of seeing a LB smash a WR coming across the middle and forcing a fumble, love seeing that DB pick off a pass and return it for a TD and I love seeing a DL pass rushing the QB and getting the sack and forcing/recovering the fumble....love it even more so when they are guys on my fantasy football team. So when the Cowboys are on defense, do you turn the TV off or change to another game because the excitement is on offense??

4) That's a personal preference & experience. since i have experience playing in IDP leagues I have no problem managing numerous leagues that this season will include at least 6 IDP leagues, some of which are keeper & dynasty leagues, some of which are redraft.......the other leagues I am involved with are just offense/team defense leagues. Once you have the skills and knowledge of defensive players as well, it's no big deal and easily managable. Once I broadened my horizons past redraft leagues I realised there is so much more that fantasy football has to offer and I am keen to test my skills and try my hand instead of staying in the shallow end of the pool.....and it's a big pool this fantasy football.....so much to partake of if you are willing to give it a go.

Should be an interesting show with Mike Neese, talking to a guy that you couldn't care less about what he is saying.
Back to top Go down
http://kurtrudder.blogspot.com/
whodeygal

whodeygal

PostSubject: Re: Episode 14: Available Now   Episode 14: Available Now Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2007 6:52 pm

Good grief! Steven is out of control! There was nothing in those posts that demanded banning as a course of action. Banning is something you save for repeated trolling, or serious repeated rule breaking. It's not for well-reasoned arguments disagreeing with what some other poster has said. This is ridiculous. And he really doesn't understand why I broke ties with the show last week? Oy.

I've never played in an IDP league. Last year was my first year playing any sort of fantasy football. IDP just sounds like it's a lot more complicated than the redraft leagues. I may try it someday, but I know I'm not ready for it now. That said, I don't understand why it's such a crime to talk about it, or even be interested in hearing more. You're right, there's a ton of different kinds of FF out there; there's nothing wrong with learning more.

My God, what is wrong with that man? How does he make it through standard doors with a head that big? I'm guessing a lot of butter and pushing are required. This is ridiculous.

No
Back to top Go down
meathorse

meathorse

PostSubject: Re: Episode 14: Available Now   Episode 14: Available Now Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2007 12:45 am

Quote :
I'm guessing a lot of butter and pushing are required.
That's funny.

There seem to be a large amount of fools on those boards. I gather than have a fair amount of younger and foreign listeners... so maybe it's an age/culture thing.

Guess that's neither here nor there. Thestos didn't say anything offensive... looks like he got banned for something like "Having a combative attitude". Jebus. Welcome to teh internets.

That being said, I'm still gonna listen to their show and play in one of their leagues... the boards are a let down though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Episode 14: Available Now   Episode 14: Available Now Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Episode 14: Available Now
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next