Sports Talk Underground Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sports Talk Underground Network

Welcome to the Sports Talk Underground Network Community Forum.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Relationships and Sports

Go down 
+3
whodeygal
STUN.Ryan
Underground Dyer
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Underground Dyer
Host
Underground Dyer

Male Number of posts : 483
Registration date : 2007-07-14

Relationships and Sports Empty
PostSubject: Relationships and Sports   Relationships and Sports Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 11:20 pm

BBR-Greg said:
Quote :
Tell "the woman" she needs to like football. Jen is a bigger NFL fan than I am! :-)

I often fight with myself about how I would feel about having a woman who was a big football fan.

I am a strong believer that the time you spend outside of the relationship is just a important as the time you spend in it and each person should have a "thing" that is theirs and no one elses. And for me sports/football has always been my thing. And having a woman who likes football, she would probably want to watch football with me or go to sports bars with me and such and I don't know if I could deal with that. Cause I'm also very stubborn and would not want to go and look for a new "thing" because my girl and I were sharing this one.

I don't know.

Sometimes I think it would be awesome and other times I think it could be the worst thing ever.

What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
http://chicagobearsreview.mypodcast.com
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

Male Number of posts : 569

PostSubject: Re: Relationships and Sports   Relationships and Sports Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 11:31 pm

I agree with you for the most part. I think she and I have a pretty good balance of watching together and not watching together. She went to Indy with me and my buddy and his girlfriend last year and yet I wouldn't have had it any other way for the biggest game of this NFL fan's game watching. There is something sacred about a guy's night out on a monday watching a game between two teams you don't even root for. Also i think the balancing act is perfect because I'm not getting told in random discussions out of the blue how she doesn't like indy's Cover 2 defense. That would probably be not something I would want.
Back to top Go down
Underground Dyer
Host
Underground Dyer

PostSubject: Re: Relationships and Sports   Relationships and Sports Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 11:36 pm

I'm not saying i want to be with someone who doesn't like football, I would prefer that she does like the game.

I guess I would just prefer that her passions lie elsewhere. She can watch the Bear game with me, but doesn't get louder than me when something happens or try to talk strategy with me. I've been around that and I have hated it.
Back to top Go down
whodeygal

whodeygal

Female Number of posts : 460

PostSubject: Re: Relationships and Sports   Relationships and Sports Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 11:38 pm

Well I would hope that you have more interests than just football!

Seriously though, I think that being in a relationship with someone who at least has enough of an appreciation of football to not give you crap when you watch it is a good thing. My husband doesn't like sports at all. He'll watch a game with me, but it hardly ever goes well, because I like to yell and the television and he thinks I just need to calm down. He doesn't have the passion, so he gives me crap about mine.

So, speaking as a woman who I love you's football, but is in a relationship with someone who doesn't, IT SUCKS. Having a mutual interest like that doesn't mean you have to change your routine; it just means you have something else to talk about. My best friend and I are both pretty rabid football fans, but the only time we watch games together are if they don't involve either of our favorite teams (Bengals & Ravens). I have my routines and he has his, and that works for us. We just discuss it ad nauseum later.

Thing is, generally, women who adore things like football are also the same kinds of women who understand the importance of guy time. They don't think they need to be with their men all the time. It's not healthy. Men should cultivate friendships with other men, and that happens over things like football. Besides, we have stuff to do too, and we don't want you guys up under us all the time anyway. We like our girl time just as much as you like your guy time. So it really cuts both ways.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hyacinthtucker.com/
meathorse

meathorse

Male Number of posts : 410

PostSubject: Re: Relationships and Sports   Relationships and Sports Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 12:39 am

Quote :
My best friend and I are both pretty rabid football fans, but the only time we watch games together are if they don't involve either of our favorite teams (Bengals & Ravens).
Seems like the obvious thing to do, eh?

I feel like I've told this story already, but I don't see it in print. Sorry if this is a repeat.

I'm a Broncos fan, and the wife is a 49ers fan. Last year on week 17 San Francisco played against Denver, this would be New Year's Eve. In October we decided, against our better judgement, that it would be a good idea to fly to Colorado watch them play against each other. I mean... Denver should have things wrapped up by then, and SF won't win more than 5 games anyway. Completely harmless!

Shit.

It's the last week of the season, and if the Chiefs lost to Jacksonville that morning, then Denver was in the playoffs period. We were the biggest Jags fans in Mile High.

In the 1st quarter we look up at the stadium scoreboard and see that KC won. We gave each other an "I've always loved you" look... and I became an animal. The pre-arranged agreement was that since SF was done, I got to go nuts and she had to shut up. If I were her I wouldn't have been able to put up with me for 4 hours. I also wouldn't have been able to keep from gloating when SF won in overtime. She saved our marriage! We will not be doing this again. God forbid they ever play each other in a Superbowl.

Happy New Year!

Quote :
Sometimes I think it would be awesome and other times I think it could be the worst thing ever.
You're right both ways. But if she cares, she can be into football and still leave you alone about it :)
Back to top Go down
rockhoppers

Male Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2007-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Relationships and Sports   Relationships and Sports Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 3:22 am

I have a similar tale to meathorse's (now that is not something I ever expected to type :) )

My wife is from Bath a big rugby town the whole place is made for it. Now I have always followed London Wasps. Every year we go to the Grand Final (think superbowl just not as popular or expensive but for the team that wins they are the League Champs), and three years ago Wasps and Bath meet in that final - the game itself was a shit game 9-3 I think effectively 3 field goals to one - but Wasps won and Karen didn't have a good day Very Happy

We have also meet in the semi finals as well - Wasps won a blow out that game. Very Happy

As for the original point, it is great that Karen and I can go to Rugby together, I even drag her to the cricket. It means that when ever there is a Rugby game on we watch it together and it doesn't involve a messing around with schedules - hell that is what TiVo is for isn't it.

But then where she doesn't share my passion is with football, and come football season she will head off to bed and look at me as if I am mad staying up half the night watching football Very Happy

Seriously though, I have taken great joy in taking Karen to her first Cricket, Football, Baseball and Soccer games and seeing her get into the whole experience, hell she has dragged me off to Wimbledon for the Tennis a couple of years and despite myself I quite enjoyed it I even enjoyed the gymnastics at the commonwealth games Laughing
Back to top Go down
RysKy

RysKy

Female Number of posts : 7

PostSubject: Re: Relationships and Sports   Relationships and Sports Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 8:55 am

Can't resist...I am going to have to agree a little with WhoDey on this one...Seems to me that with the craziness of life these days (nobody works 8 hr day, transportation to and from anywhere - at least in Chicago - takes a freaking hour, hell just going grocery shopping takes 1/2 day...) There is not a lot of quality time left with you sig other. Why not have something you are interested in to talk about?

Real women DO NOT want to hang with you and your buddies all the time and talk plays all day....We have our own "things" our own friends, our own interests (and by the way - YES we would love for you to ask...)

But don't fret Larry a little for you too:
My sistuation works this way: It is his thing - I want to know him- I will always be loyal to his team ( that one is compromise). I hope he gets crazier then me because smart women also know watching men be men is sexy and what is a better way to celebrate his teams win then....Next time take her to the game and maybe you'll agree...
Back to top Go down
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

Male Number of posts : 569

PostSubject: Re: Relationships and Sports   Relationships and Sports Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 9:17 am

Quote :
smart women also know watching men be men is sexy and what is a better way to celebrate his teams win then

uhh, go colts! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Underground Dyer
Host
Underground Dyer

PostSubject: Re: Relationships and Sports   Relationships and Sports Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 9:39 am

Decided to take this topic and make it my Main Event for Episode Seventeen on my show. It's uploading as we speak so give it a listen and let me know what you think......under my Episode Seventeen thread. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
whodeygal

whodeygal

PostSubject: Re: Relationships and Sports   Relationships and Sports Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 10:39 am

Agreed. Watching men be men is incredibly sexy, and frankly, the more worked up they tend to get about things, the cuter they are. It's great watching them get all giddy about what they love; enthusiasm is greatly appreciated by smart women, because we know it doesn't stop at just sports.
Back to top Go down
meathorse

meathorse

Male Number of posts : 410

PostSubject: Re: Relationships and Sports   Relationships and Sports Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 9:09 pm

Ryan Simmons wrote:
Quote :
smart women also know watching men be men is sexy and what is a better way to celebrate his teams win then

uhh, go colts! Laughing
lol!

Quote :
Watching men be men is incredibly sexy, and frankly, the more worked up they tend to get about things, the cuter they are.
But where do you draw the line?
Relationships and Sports Hogettes2005s
Back to top Go down
CardinalPackerHoosier

CardinalPackerHoosier

Male Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2007-08-11

PostSubject: Larry dating a Packers girl   Relationships and Sports Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 11:35 pm

Larry,

It would make my year if you start dating a girl who was a die-hard Packers fan. How would you deal with that? lol

The cops would be called everytime they played the Bears.
Back to top Go down
http://cardinalnationjournal.blogspot.com
whodeygal

whodeygal

PostSubject: Re: Relationships and Sports   Relationships and Sports Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2007 12:01 am

meathorse wrote:
But where do you draw the line?
Relationships and Sports Hogettes2005s
I like to think there's a difference between worked up and downright diptastic. That, my friend, is diptastic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Relationships and Sports   Relationships and Sports Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Relationships and Sports
Page 1 of 1