Sports Talk Underground Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sports Talk Underground Network

Welcome to the Sports Talk Underground Network Community Forum.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

THE BOWLS

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bad Mahi Mahi

Male Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2007-09-06

THE BOWLS Empty
PostSubject: THE BOWLS   THE BOWLS Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 4:30 am

Give a pick on each game and keep a tally of your record. Maybe one of us will get hot in time for being all in on the championship:

Utah +8.5 against Navy

Utah #2 D against a one dimensional Navy offense. Navy playing for an interim head coach. Navy is horrible on D and Utah has the type of ground game that will grind them down in the second half. I'd look for Utah to be covering by halftime and blowing out Navy at the end.

It looked like a pulled one out of my ass, then Navy goes ahead and steals it from me. 0-1

Florida Atlantic -2.5 against Memphis in New Orleans

This is usually the first bowl game of the year and deservedly so, because it sucks. The Superdome filled with about 20K fans is depressing. The teams have a combined 2 wins against teams with winning records. However FAU took on the big boys including Kentucky, Florida, Oklahoma State and Minnesota. Both teams are good at creating turnovers. However FAU does not commit as many and is superior at causing them. First bowl for FAU so they will have fans there. Howard Schnellenberger is a coach I have always liked and I imagine he will have a calming influence on an excited group. The offenses are evenly matched however the Memphis defense is bad while FAU is good and opportunistic. The only way Memphis wins this is with turnovers and I don't see it happening.

1-1- A nice win to even the record. Took the over as well. Having 50 on the board at halftime is a nice feeling. FAU is a team to make a mental note on for next year.

Southern Miss +11 against Cincy in Birmingham

Come on Coast, make a play. SMU comes out inspired for coach Bower in his last game. They have a good enough defense and run game to play with the bearcats. I think the play is under 55.

2-1. There were multiple times I thought that cover was going out the window in the second half...the under as well. I consider that one kind of lucky as Cincy only played one half of football. On the other hand I though USM would come out on fire. The worst part about it is, while waiting for the end, nevada-new mexico kicked off. Why wouldn't they be smart and wait for one game to end before kicking the next?

Nevada +3 at New Mexico

I think most players will figure the same as coach and take the home team. The line indicates that they would be evenly matched on a home field. Now New Mexico's top back is out. I see this as a shootout and New Mexico is down a big bullet.

2-2. I really don't feel as bad when I am flat out wrong.

BYU -6.5 against UCLA in Las Vegas

This will be a home game as the football crazed mormons of nevada will be at this game. UCLA is playing with an interim coach and had a horribly disappointing season that ended with them losing 3 of 4. I took BYU in the first meeting that UCLA won by 10 at home. I'll make that same mistake again. The one thing that concerns me is that UCLA, while sucking, covers often. That would be a bigger worry if the game was over 7. Since it is just a td, i will pick the winner to cover. I REALLY like the under 46.5 here more though.

2-3. Shit

East Carolina +11.5 aginst Boise State in Hawaii

Coast, I think you are going against one of your strongest indicators, in that there is a good chance ECU will outrush BSU. I don't love this pick but I think it is solid. BSU is not as good as it was last year and this line is really based on what they did to Oklahoma.

3-3. ECU does outrush Boise and has control of the game from beginning to end...which brings me to

Central Michigan +7.5 against Purdue in Detroit

I think there is a good chance CMU outrushes Purdue in this one. Everyone will be keying on that first meeting. Purdue coming off three loses and a game that they have to think is below them in a location that is less than desirable.

Maybe Coast can back me up on this, the guys at predictem are saying it looks like sharp money is on CMU tonight and the public is playing Purdue heavily.

4-3.

Arizona State +2.5 against Texas in San Diego

I think both teams will move the ball. I like the ASU defense better than texas and I have a feeling Mc Coy is going to throw 2 or more picks tonight. Always consider the over in the Holiday Bowl (62).

4-4. Well...it's tough to overcome turnover after turnover after turnover. Over continues my roll in O/U department.

Boston College -5 against Michigan State

I thought the academic losses of SirDean and Saint Dic would have driven this line up more. They were the big playmakers on an otherwise average D. BC had a stronger schedule, was better at running the ball than their opponent and has the much better D in this situation. I expect MSU to move the ball some but I think BC will score in the high 30s.

Houston +6.5 against TCU in Houston

I haven't seen anyone mention the Jekyl and Hyde nature of TCU on the road. This is a home game for Houston and I will fade the Frogs.

Oregon State -4.5 against Maryland

OSU has a much better D and Maryland is weak on offense

5-6. This is not going well. That BC was all but assured without a late fumble.

Wake Forest -2 against UConn in Charlotte

The equivalent of a home game for Wake. They are the better running team and probably a better passing team if Skinner returns to freshman form. UConn's season was fueled by tremendous luck and a weak conference. Give me the Deacons and look heavily at the under.

UCF -3 against Miss. St.

Bad rush defense going against the best RB in the country. On the opposite side of the ball I expect former D coordination O'Leary to have figured out the simplistic MSU offense over the past month

Penn St. -5 against Texas A M

Tailing my esteemed coleague Coast. Mess with JoePa. Only PSU fans can mess with JoePa.

7-7. It was a good day. If that ruddy faced O'Leary had been taught the concept of play action before the bowl CFU could have racked up huge yards. I cannot remember seeing this bad of QB in college football in my life. Stupid play, lack of vision and turnovers have been the story of this bowl season.

Alabama -3.5 against Colorado

There is only one good part of a football team that will see the field in this game and it is the Bama defense. Bad, bad, bad game against two 6-6 teams that are only in a bowl because of name recognition.

8-7. Back above .500. That turned out to be entertaining. Now the real season starts. The games come in bunches.

Air Force +4 against Cal

This should be a pro AFA crowd. Cal has lost 5 of 6. AFA has won 6 of 7. During that streak Cal has given up almost 200 ypg on the ground...and guess what, AFA averages more than that per game. Everything I have read indicates a disinterested Cal team, while the flyboys are always prepared. Who do you think comes out stronger in a game on new year's eve, that starts at 9:30 am pacific time.

South Florida -6 against Oregon

This one scares me. I don't see how Oregon will score points and yet the line is only 6. I see lots of people jumping on Oregon. Still I have to trust my own opinions. A strong D, a strong running team. This is less than 7 so I will go ahead and pick who I think wins.

Georgia Tech -5.5 against Fresno State

Georgia Tech is playing with an interim coach, but it does not take much coaching to say, "hand the ball off". Tech D is very strong. It is cold and windy in Boise today so I don't expect either team to be able to throw. FSU top rusher is out. I'll take my chances with the much better D and a single great rusher at GT.

Kentucky -7 against Florida State

Home game for Kentucky. Line moved to the point where I feel it is in play now. 35 FSU players out. Smells like a trap but what they hell.

Oklahoma State -4.5 agains Indiana

I don't know why I like Indiana. OSU runs the ball better, had a tougher schedule and has more bowl experience. I think the play is the over in this one anyway, but I'll side with the Hoosiers if I had to pick.

Auburn +2.5 against Clemson

This one is going to be a good game. I just love the way Auburn plays D. I think the time off will help them develop a little on offense. Under 46.5 sounds good in this one.

Last edited by on Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:49 am; edited 26 times in total
Back to top Go down
Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast

Male Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2007-08-22

THE BOWLS Empty
PostSubject: Re: THE BOWLS   THE BOWLS Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 6:26 am

Poinsetta Bowl: Navy +9 vs. Utah
(+9 now widely available as Joe Public pounds da Utes)
I love dogs that will outrush their opponents, even if they are one-dimensional.

New Orleans Bowl: Florida Atlantic -3 vs. Memphis
I am a little concerned about taking a Sun Belt team, as chalk, against a CUSA team that is coming in winning 5 of last 6. My logic is simple: Coaches have a month to prepare. In that battle, I'll take Howard Schnellenberger vs. Tommy West every day and twice in New Orleans.

2-0 going into the three bowl games on Saturday:
Southern Miss +11.5
I love Cincy and think they win this game, but laying doubles in an early bowl game isn't my style. Cincy may blow them out, but I'm not laying em. (I'm not betting this game either, just putting my pick up here).

New Mexico -3 vs. Nevada
Home game for the Lobos.

BYU -6.5 vs. UCLA
Who is QB for UCLA? WHo is coaching? Who is caring? UCLA might have the look of a disinterested team.

4-1 going into Sunday's Hawaii Bowl as BYU's coach shows he's no genius.
Sunday: Boise -10.5 vs. East Carolina
ECU has that one fast guy, Johnson. Other than that, I don't see much there. I'm probably overpaying here, but with this matchup, it seems like it's bigger faster boise against little boys.

Let's recap my posts below and then I'll keep my bowl picks here:
Boise L
Motor City Bowl Under L
Cent Michigan W
Ariz State L
Mich State W
TCU W
Penn State W

8-4 going into Sunday
Weed Eater Bowl: Colorado +4

8-5 going into New Years Eve
Air Force +4.5
South FLorida -5.5
Fresno +6
Oklahoma State -5.5
Kentucky -7
Clemson -2

Happy New Year, 2-3-1 yesterday on here, but $$ in my pockets with Okie State coming through with the biggest bet of the day.

Today, here are my official sides and my bets. This is damn unusual to have a card of all chalk. Square as hell today...

Tennessee -1.5 (2.5** bet at -1)
Missouri -3 (bought earlier; 1* bet, like it, but don't love it)
Florida -10.5 (count it 10.5 for this scorekeeping, but I have a 1.5* bet at -10 -120; don't want a 10.5 ticket. 2** on over 59.5)
USC -14 (3*** bet on USC, 2* on over 49; might bet more on USC; 2* bet on over 49.5)
Texas Tech -6 (2**)
Georgia -7 (1.5* bet at -7; don't want 7.5)

Nice day. 5-2, +6.6 going into Sugar Bowl. Buying more Georgia.

Big day yesterday...6-2, but more importantly, one of the most profitable days I've ever had betting sports as I stepped out with a few multiple unit plays, as noted above. I was wrong about Michigan-FLorida, but fortunately I had more on the over in that game. And I was wrong about Texas TEch, but was able to recoup my bet on that game with a 2nd half bet on Tex Tech. But the USC, USC over, Georgia and Tennessee wins fattened the accounts big time.

Coming off the most profitable betting week of my life, I'm going to tread lightly tonight and just have one big bet left this college football season. That will be on LSU-4. In the meantime, I'm shopping for a new car with this week's winnings. Anyone have a suggestion for a nice luxury car I should look at?

16-10-1 on posted plays in the bowls.

Tonight, a peanut on Oklahoma-7.

16-11-1
Tonight, two peanuts on Kansas +3. Maybe I'll make it 20 peanuts (1 unit) if I get really sold on the JHawks before kickoff.

17-11-1
LSU -3.5 (though I actually bet this at -3, -120)
LSU is healthy on defense for the first time in a long time. Gang up to stop the run, rush the QB and see if Boeckman can bet them. Don't think he can. HOme game for LSU doesn't hurt either. LSU 31-17.

Last edited by on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:48 am; edited 19 times in total
Back to top Go down
Chus

Chus

Male Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2007-08-28

THE BOWLS Empty
PostSubject: Re: THE BOWLS   THE BOWLS Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 8:44 am

I wouldn't be surprised to see the number drop a bit more before kickoff.
Back to top Go down
sabu

Male Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2007-08-31

THE BOWLS Empty
PostSubject: Re: THE BOWLS   THE BOWLS Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 9:23 am

ill take Utah -8.5 as well

well see what happens
Back to top Go down
Bad Mahi Mahi

THE BOWLS Empty
PostSubject: Re: THE BOWLS   THE BOWLS Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 10:44 am

Chus wrote:

It's been moving up rather than down. I did mean -8.5.

As an aside, try to keep all of your plays on a single post and just keep editing it over the next 3 weeks. I have no prize, just doing it for fun.
Back to top Go down
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

Male Number of posts : 569
Registration date : 2007-07-14

THE BOWLS Empty
PostSubject: Re: THE BOWLS   THE BOWLS Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 9:35 pm

So pissed I missed two out of three weeks. Just kind of made it pointless from there. Awesome job Coast.
Back to top Go down
Bad Mahi Mahi

THE BOWLS Empty
PostSubject: Re: THE BOWLS   THE BOWLS Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 8:56 am

Bad Mahi Mahi wrote:
Chus wrote:

It's been moving up rather than down. I did mean -8.5.

As an aside, try to keep all of your plays on a single post and just keep editing it over the next 3 weeks. I have no prize, just doing it for fun.

Fuckers got it up to 9 at kickoff. I was licking my chops at 7.5 early in the day. I went a little lighter than I wanted to because of the dramatic line change
Back to top Go down
sabu

THE BOWLS Empty
PostSubject: Re: THE BOWLS   THE BOWLS Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2007 12:46 am

0-1

ill take

so miss

lobos

and byu

and NO I am not copying coast, I think BYU is the best play today, I also say take the byu under as well
Back to top Go down
sabu

THE BOWLS Empty
PostSubject: Re: THE BOWLS   THE BOWLS Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2007 3:47 am

3-2 included byu under

tonight

boise state, sorry there Holtz

ill even lay it at-10.5
Back to top Go down
Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast

THE BOWLS Empty
PostSubject: Re: THE BOWLS   THE BOWLS Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2007 6:27 am

Wednesday: Motor City Bowl
Don't like either side here.
Purdue-Cent. Michigan UNDER 71.5

If I have to pick a side, then gimme the Chips and the 7.5 perntz.
Back to top Go down
Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast

THE BOWLS Empty
PostSubject: Re: THE BOWLS   THE BOWLS Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 2:09 am

Arizona State +3
3.5 was a better bet, but I found a 3 this morning. Looks like it's headed down before kickoff. Should not matter. Texas didn't handle basic passing attacks very well and they haven't seen anything like ASU's. I like ASU outright in this one. Moneyline prices are lousy though. 3 point dog should be getting at least +140 or 145, not +125.
Back to top Go down
Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast

THE BOWLS Empty
PostSubject: Re: THE BOWLS   THE BOWLS Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 9:35 am

One of my largest bets of the Bowl Season will be Saturday on Penn State -5 vs. Texas AM. Joe Pa is money in bowls versus a coaching staff in flux. Penn State's strength is their defense against the run. A&M is a one-dimensional running team that has shown little ability to generate much of a passing game. If AM can't run...and they will have problems doing so...they won't be able to move the ball. While Penn State's offense has been uninspired at times, they won't need many to cover here. AM's defense is even less inspiring, though.
Back to top Go down
Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast

THE BOWLS Empty
PostSubject: Re: THE BOWLS   THE BOWLS Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 3:30 am

Friday Bowls

Michigan State +5 vs. BC
Better rushing team getting points. BC has been over-rated much of the year. They play close games because they don't have any game breakers. The MSU suspensions aren't that big a deal because the backups consist of a former starter and a guy who has gotten alot of action. BC hasn't seen a running game like this and I don't think they will handle it very well. Could be a lot of points scored too as MSU pass defense will have its hands full with Ryan. Lean over, but just playing the side a little heavier than the average play.

TCU -6.5 vs Houston
Houston a team going through a coaching transition. Just a small play here on the better defense and running game.
Back to top Go down
Bad Mahi Mahi

THE BOWLS Empty
PostSubject: Re: THE BOWLS   THE BOWLS Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 4:43 am

BREAKING NEWS

It looks like Mc Fadden's mother has a new Escalade and her son is going to be out of the Cotton Bowl. The line has not adjusted yet. Get yourself some.
Back to top Go down
Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast

THE BOWLS Empty
PostSubject: Re: THE BOWLS   THE BOWLS Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 7:07 am

Yep. I got myself some Mizzou last night at -3. Still a little -3 around with higher juice. Probably will be close to 6 or 7 by game day.

Nobody else posting bowl picks on all the games any more? Well then I have no opinion on the OSU/Mary game tonight. :)

The largest bowl bets for me will be (in order of $$):
Penn State (BIG)
Florida (Almost as big)
USC (Double shot)
Back to top Go down
sabu

THE BOWLS Empty
PostSubject: Re: THE BOWLS   THE BOWLS Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 7:53 am

3-3 going in

ill take

TCu (see above)

oregon state under
Back to top Go down
Bad Mahi Mahi

THE BOWLS Empty
PostSubject: Re: THE BOWLS   THE BOWLS Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 12:59 am

Coast2Coast wrote:

Nobody else posting bowl picks on all the games any more? Well then I have no opinion on the OSU/Mary game tonight. :)

The largest bowl bets for me will be (in order of $$):
Penn State (BIG)
Florida (Almost as big)
USC (Double shot)

I am posting in a single post. I had OSU and got the win. To tell you the truth it was much closer than I thought it would be. On the other hand, they could have played another half and Maryland would not have scored a TD.
Back to top Go down
sabu

THE BOWLS Empty
PostSubject: Re: THE BOWLS   THE BOWLS Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2007 12:15 am

5-3

tonight, Ill take Colorado +4

this is a bama team that has lost 4 in a row, Colo on that nebraska shoot out high, I hate to say it, but I like Hawkins and if Col can keep from turning the ball over, I think they are in it, a little taste here
Back to top Go down
Bad Mahi Mahi

THE BOWLS Empty
PostSubject: Re: THE BOWLS   THE BOWLS Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2007 12:57 am

Coast2Coast wrote:
One of my largest bets of the Bowl Season will be Saturday on Penn State -5 vs. Texas AM. Joe Pa is money in bowls versus a coaching staff in flux. Penn State's strength is their defense against the run. A&M is a one-dimensional running team that has shown little ability to generate much of a passing game. If AM can't run...and they will have problems doing so...they won't be able to move the ball. While Penn State's offense has been uninspired at times, they won't need many to cover here. AM's defense is even less inspiring, though.

That was about as uncomfortable as a tail as I will get. Good call. It sure looked like PSU D was out of gas at the end. I think it I was that TAM coach I would have gone for it on 4th and 20 rather than kicking it away.
Back to top Go down
sabu

THE BOWLS Empty
PostSubject: Re: THE BOWLS   THE BOWLS Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 10:40 pm

5-4

the best day of the year
all from wsex

TN -2.5
TN Under 56.5
missou -3.5
FLA -10.5
TX tech -6
USC -14
USC over 49
GA -7' (LOVE this game GA to kill them)
OKLA home under 64
Back to top Go down
Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast

THE BOWLS Empty
PostSubject: Re: THE BOWLS   THE BOWLS Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 12:33 am

your new year's day card looked a lot like mine, Sabu. congrats on your strong day.
Back to top Go down
sabu

THE BOWLS Empty
PostSubject: Re: THE BOWLS   THE BOWLS Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 7:49 am

thx no BWM or Mercedes in my future though

6-2 yesterday

11-6 overall

went a little gonzo on Georgia, I can not believe that anyone gave the rainbow warrior a chance (not that the rantings of a Lee Corso mean anything on this world or the next). That was one if you have been watching the season, there is no way on earth you come out with anything other than a Georgia play. Strength of conference must be taken into consideration, kudos to June Jones for a great season, but asking the Kane County Cougars to play the Anneheim Angels is asking alot.

tongiht

oklahoma under at 64 which is where it was at on wsex when I advised booking it yesterday it now is at 61'

like Oklahoma, but the line is hanging at -8.5 too much to lay on that one
Back to top Go down
sabu

THE BOWLS Empty
PostSubject: Re: THE BOWLS   THE BOWLS Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2008 7:51 am

11-7

kansas is da play
Back to top Go down
Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast