Sports Talk Underground Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sports Talk Underground Network

Welcome to the Sports Talk Underground Network Community Forum.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Larry D's 2007 Movies

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Underground Dyer
Host
Underground Dyer

Male Number of posts : 483
Registration date : 2007-07-14

Larry D's 2007 Movies Empty
PostSubject: Larry D's 2007 Movies   Larry D's 2007 Movies Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 8:32 am

Thought that I would give you guys a running total on what movies I've been to this year with my Paulopalous Scale ratings and such. I'll be adding to the list as the year finishes out.

Paulopalous Scale Ratings:
Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - Worth Full Price
Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - Worth Matinee Price
Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - Worth a Rental
Like a Star @ heaven - Wait for Cable
No Stars - Don't Bother

Larry D’s 2007 Movies
## - Rental

1. Night at the Museum 01/02/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - Fun family movie

2. Happily N’ever After 01/05/07 ½ Like a Star @ heaven - Could be the worst animated movie I’ve ever seen

3. Charlotte’s Web 01/15/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - Niece and nephew loved it, me not so much

4. Alpha Dog 01/23/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven 1/2 – Would have been better if it were shorter, seemed to drag at times.

5. ## The Last Kiss Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - Could have been better

6. ## The Illusionist Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - Another movie that seemed to drag

7. ## Bandidas Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - Was a lot better than I thought it would be considering it was straight to video…..and it’s got Salma Hayek in it.

8. ## Saw 3 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - The endings of these movies get me every time.

9. ## Black Dahlia Like a Star @ heaven - It was too long. It was based on a book and apparently they didn’t leave anything out.

10. ## For Your Consideration Like a Star @ heaven - Pisses me off when comedies aren’t funny

11. ## A Good Year Like a Star @ heaven 1/2 – Russell Crowe should stick to action dramas like Gladiator and Master and Commander.

12. ## Stranger Than Fiction Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - I thought Will Ferrell was awesome in this.

13. ## Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny Like a Star @ heaven - A rock “epic” that fell horribly short.

14. ## My Super Ex-Girlfriend Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - Wasn’t very funny, yet still entertaining.

15. ## Let’s Go To Prison Like a Star @ heaven 1/2 – Again, I hate it when comedies aren’t funny.

16. 300 3/11/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - Lived up to every bit of the hype that has been virtually non-stop since the Super Bowl.

17. ## National Lampoon’s Van Wilder: The Rise Of Taj Like a Star @ heaven - Not even half as funny as the first one and Kal Penn (Taj) seem to flip flop between an American and Indian accent.

18. ## The Holiday Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven 1/2 – Better than I was expecting. I was expecting total chick flick soppiness but there actually wasn’t too much of that. Plus, I have been a fan of Kate Winslet’s since Titanic, so that didn’t hurt.

19. The Lookout 03/31/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven 1/2 – I liked this one more than I was expecting to. The story held together real well.

20. Blades of Glory 04/01/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - Will Ferrell owed me after Talladega Nights and he and Jon Heder paid me back and then some. Absolutely hilarious. Lots of classic one-liners that anyone who has seen the movie will automatically recognize.

21. 300: The IMAX Experience 04/16/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - Holy Hell!! I thought it was awesome the first time around. Put the weight of the IMAX sound and picture behind it and you’ve got yourself a hell of a spectacle.

22. Fracture Like a Star @ heaven 1/2 04/26/07 – Nice twists in the movie, but overall kind of slow and boring.

23. Spider-Man 3 Like a Star @ heaven 05/08/07 - The movies in this series got worse with everyone that passed. This one was long and boring, just like the second one. I must not be a Spider-Man fan because these movies do nothing for me.

24. Shrek 3 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven 05/18/07 – Not as good as the first two (which I loved), but still entertaining and funny.

25. Knocked Up 06/03/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - One of the funniest movies I have seen in a while. My high expectations for it (considering it was made by the same people who did 40 Year Old Virgin) were exceeded. I really enjoyed this movie.

26. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End 06/04/07 Like a Star @ heaven - This movie was a huge downer considering how much I enjoyed the second one. It was way too long and I had trouble staying awake.

27. Mr. Brooks 06/04/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven 1/2 – This movie did not get the recognition it deserved. I am not a Kevin Costner fan but I really liked this movie. Demi Moore was great and comedian Dane Cook was very good in his first dramatic role as well.

28. Ocean’s Thirteen 06/15/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven 1/2 – Better than the second one, but still not close to the first one.

29. ## Norbit 1/2 Like a Star @ heaven - No wonder Eddie Murphy didn’t win the Oscar, the train wreck that was this movie had to ruin his chances. It was awful.

30. ## Epic Movie ½ Like a Star @ heaven - So was this one. Just terrible.

31. ## Breach Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven 1/2 – After watching the first two, it was nice watching a movie that did not suck.

32. ## Music and Lyrics Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - I’ve always had a soft spot for romantic comedies and I really liked this one. I think I’m one of the few people left in the world that finds Hugh Grant funny.

33. Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer 06/23/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven 1/2 – Didn’t really like the first one, but this one was better. Besides, something that features Jessica Alba in a skin tight body suit for 90 minutes can’t be all bad right?

34. Live Free or Die Hard 06/27/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - As a huge fan of the Die Hard series I had high hopes……and I was not disappointed. Best movie I’ve seen this summer. Ranks right up there with the best I’ve seen this year.

35. Transformers 07/03/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven 1/2 – I had a good time while watching this movie. Lots of action, lots of jokes, lots of special effects. Thoroughly entertaining.

36. Ratatouille 07/04/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - Was kind of disappointed in this one, didn’t do much for me. It did have its moments, but not enough to rank up there with Finding Nemo or Monsters Inc.

37. License To Wed 07/06/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven 1/2 – Robin Williams carried this movie that was very funny in spots. But there was a little too much start and stop with the comedy. Gave it an extra half star because it is set in Chicago. Very Happy

38. Evan Almighty 07/07/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - Nowhere near as funny as the first one and not because Jim Carrey wasn’t in it. Steven Carell is plenty funny to pull it off on his own. But this movie just didn’t get it done.

39. Talk To Me 07/15/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven 1/2 – Eight days without a movie. I almost didn’t know what to do with myself. Anyway, Don Cheadle was amazing as Petey Green, a DJ from D.C. in the late sixties and early 70’s.

40. ## Zodiac Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven – Pretty intense movie based on a true story of the serial killer who called himself the Zodiac back in the 70’s and the investigation that tried to catch him.

41. I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry 7/23/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven 1/2 – Was not as horrible as critics said it was. They had a little trouble figuring out what kind of comedy they wanted it to be, but it was still funny. You go to movies like this to laugh, and I laughed a lot, so I was cool about that.

42. The Simpsons Movie 7/29/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven 1/2 – For once a highly anticipated movie that was not a major disappointment when you finally got to see it. It pushed the envelope in ways the TV show doesn’t and was very funny.

43. The Bourne Ultimatum 8/10/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - Yes, I gave this movie four stars. I’ve seen all three of these movies and even though I wouldn’t fear Matt Damon even if I lost control of all four limbs, I never had a problem with him in this role. It is the best of the three and might be the reason that I buy the DVDs.

44. Superbad 8/18/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - Made by the same people who did The 40-Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up, it had the pedigree to be funny…and it was. I laughed my ass off. There was a little too much profanity at times but didn’t take away from the movie being funny.

45. 3:10 To Yuma 09/07/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - A little slow at times but I really dug this movie. Russell Crowe and Christian Bale were really good in this movie. This was one of those trips to the theatre where I saw whatever was playing next and in this case I feel like I lucked out.

46. Good Luck Chuck 09/24/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - I’ve been kind of hot and cold on Dane Cook and whether or not I think he’s funny. But A) after his performance in Mr. Brooks and B) because Jessica Alba was in it, I gave it a chance. They let Dane Cook be Dane Cook (the funny one anyway) and I really liked this one. It’s not future DVD purchase good, but I was happy with it. Really, really funny in spots and Jessica Alba is….well, Jessica Alba.

47. The Kingdom 10/03/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - This movie was awesome! This is how good it was, it was two hours long and it was over too soon. Not to say that it wasn't long enough, I'm saying that I didn't want it to end. This may be the best movie I've seen this year.

48. The Gameplan 10/04/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - After hearing that this movie pretty much crushed The Kingdom at the box office last weekend my curiosity got the better of me. I know this is a PG Disney movie but it was a bit too soft and cheesy for me. The Rock had his moments here and there but it wasn't as funny as I would have liked.

49. The Heartbreak Kid 10/05/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - I don't think there has been enough of a stink made over the fact that this is a Farelly Brothers movie, I didn't realize until seeing it in the opening credits. Ben Stiller was funny and the movie itself was pretty funny as well. Not as funny as some others I have seen this year, but funny nonetheless. And one tip for anyone who is going to check this one out, stay through the credits, there are two extra scenes: one in the middle and another right at the end.

50. Feast Of Love 10/08/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven 1/2 - Two reasons I went and saw this one: 1) Big Morgan Freeman fan, 2) Saw a dog in the trailer that looked just like one I used to own (may he rest in peace). Wasn't blown away by the movie, but it wasn't terrible. The dog however, a Brittany, was beautiful and looked just like my puppy did, so the trip was worth it.

51. ## Reign On Me Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - Rented this one on CardinalPackerHoosier's recommendation. I thought Cheadle and Sandler made an unlikely pair when I saw the trailer, but felt they worked really well in the movie. There were a few big laughs in the movie which kind of threw me at times because they seemed out of place at times considering the subject matter. Great movie about friendship and its healing powers.

52. ## The Condemned Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - This movie absolutely tanked at the box office and I don't really know why. It wasn't a mind-blowing action packed experience or anything like that, but it wasn't a bad movie by any means. It could have used some of those cheesy one-liners to add a little does of comedy into the film but it was otherwise a fun movie to watch.

53. ## The Ex Like a Star @ heaven 1/2 - Being a big fan of the show Scrubs, I am a big fan of Zach Braff's, but this movie sucked. Like any comedy, it had its moments, but overall chalk it up as being another comedy that forgot to be funny.

54. ## Rise: Blood Hunter 1/2 Like a Star @ heaven - A straight to DVD release that sucked me in because I saw a decent trailer for it a while back....now I know why it went straight to DVD, because it sucks. Every now and then you get lucky with these straight to DVD movies, but not here. Not even a naked Lucy Liu could save this one.

55. Eastern Promises 10/10/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - Waited a while to see this one and I was disappointed. It was slow, uneventful and you could see the movie's big "twist" coming about half an hour before it was revealed.

56. Gone Baby Gone 10/19/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - This movie is going to give The Kingdom a run for its money for my favorite of the year. Casey Affleck is a private detective hired to assist police in finding a missing girl and the movie takes off from there. Ed Harris is one of the detectives involved in the investigation and he was amazing.

57. The Comebacks 10/20/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - These spoof movies are becoming pointless because at times it just looks like these people aren't trying to make good movies so much as they are just trying to get one made. This one had its moments but in the end was pretty silly and not very funny.

58. Michael Clayton 10/21/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - I liked this one. For anyone going to see this, get ready to sit through ALOT of talking in this one. I know that sounds silly, but nothing gets solved through action, it's all done with talking. It works, trust me, just be ready for it.

59. Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married 10/23/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - All the hype and its box office standing turned this one from a future rental into a matinée for me. It's about four couples that go on vacation together as a way of strengthening their relationships. On this particular trip all hell breaks loose and all four are on the brink of destruction. It was funny, heartfelt and in a way inspiring. I enjoyed it.

60. Dan In Real Life 10/26/07 - Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - I gotta be honest, I thought it would be good, but not this good. I loved this movie. It was sweet, romantic, emotional and it was funnier than I thought it would be. It would also make for a great date movie guys. Go see this movie.

61. ## Disturbia Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - Cool movie with a good mixture of comedy and suspense. These movies are always a lot more fun when they look like something that could happen in your neighborhood.

62. ## You Kill Me Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - This was one of those limited release movies that most of you probably didn't hear about. It stars Ben Kingsley who is an assassin for a small-time mob outfit in Buffalo. But he's an alcoholic and it has been affecting his work. So his boss sends him to rehab in San Francisco and the movie takes off from there. Believe it or not this movie as actually a romatic comedy of sorts. I enjoyed it's off-beat humor. Rent it if you get the chance.

63. ## Wild Hogs Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - Don't think this was $100 million at the box office funny, but I laughed a little. But you'd think a movie with the cast that it had would be a bit edgier. A little too soft for me.

64. American Gangster 11//03/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - This movie lived up to the hype and I'm glad it did. And even though the movie's two stars don't share the screen until the movie's almost over, the journey to that point was awesome.

Last edited by on Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:58 pm; edited 13 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://chicagobearsreview.mypodcast.com
Underground Dyer
Host
Underground Dyer

PostSubject: Re: Larry D's 2007 Movies   Larry D's 2007 Movies Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 1:00 pm

65. No Country For Old Men 11/09/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - I am fortunate enough to live in an area that gets the "in select theaters" movies before they go nation wide, so I jumped at the chance to see this one. Javier Bardem, who is the creepy looking guy with the bowl cut in the trailer, was awesome in this movie. I love Coen Brothers movies because they all kind of feature everyday people getting caught in worlds they don't belong in and how they would handle it. Fargo was another one.

66. Lions For Lambs 11/09/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - Seemed a bit preachy at times for me, like I was watching a political debate. And I hate politics. I still enjoyed the movie, but not as much as I think I would have had the movie made more of an effort to tell a story than it did to get on its soapbox.

67. Beowulf 11/16/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - I spent the extra money and went to see it in 3-D at the IMAX theater. It was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen on screen. The technology was unbelievable, I have never seen 3-D look like this. I've seen 3-D before where you can see images stand out. This 3-D you could really see the depth. If someone was standing ten feet from the wall, it looked like it was ten feet away. Amazing. The movie itself left a lot to be desired, the technology alone could fool someone into giving it four stars, but the story was slow and pretty boring. But if you are going to see it, go see it in 3-D, it's worth the extra dough.

68. Juno 12/17/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven 1/2 - Went and saw it because of a mixture of an interesting trailer and strong reviews and am happy that I did. Very happy that the first movie that I've seen in a month was one that I enjoyed. It's a comedy about a teenage girl who gets pregnant and the process she goes through in finding adoptive parents for her baby. The girl who played Juno (Ellen Page) was very good as a quirky outsider kind of girl who becomes even more of an outsider by getting pregnant.

69. I Am Legend 12/17/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven 1/2 - For all of the hype surrounding this one and the money it made on opening weekend (76.5 million), I was expecting better. Wil Smith was very good despite pretty much being the only member of the cast, but the movie as a whole really just didn't do it for me. For anyone who has seen Cast Away with Tom Hanks, that's pretty much what you're dealing with, only not as long or boring. Not what I expected or was hoping for though.

70. National Treasure: Book of Secrets 12/21/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - Not as exciting as the first one, but just as interesting with each clue leading up to the next. It also wasn't as hard for them to find the designated treasure this time around. In the first one there were all kinds of obstacles in the way, this time around maybe half a dozen or so steps before they reach their goal. Seems almost too easy. But the reason each of you should go see this movie is for the all new Goofy short during the trailers. Hilarious.

71. Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story 12/23/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - Made by the same people who did Superbad and 40-Year Old Virgin and it did not disappoint. I laughed my ass off at this movie. I was disappointed to see that it didn't do better at the box office this weekend, but I think that they will definitely make up for it in DVD sales. This movie was VERY funny.

72. Charlie Wilson's War 12/26/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven 1/2 - I don't know if it was 5 Golden Globe nominations good, but I really liked it. Tom Hanks was good as Congressman Charlie Wilson, but Phillip Seymour Hoffman was brilliant as the CIA agent that was helping him run this covert war.

73. P.S. I Love You 12/28/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven 1/2 - I've always been a sucker for romantic comedies, which is why I checked this one out. Aside from having a very nice body, I don't find Hilary Swank very attractive. And I would also like to note the HUGE change of pace for Gerard Butler. Who you ask? You may know him as King Leonidas in 300. In this one he's Hilary Swank's dead husband. All that aside, it would be a good date movie for anyone looking for ideas.

74. The Great Debaters 12/28/07 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven 1/2 - I got talked into this one when the trailers didn't really suck me in, I just wasn't intrigued by the story. I'm glad I went, it was a very good movie about a small Texas black college debate team in 1935. For anyone thinking this is a Denzel Washington movie, you're wrong. Yes he is in it, but his role is just a supporting one. Either way, it was a very good movie that just may make my top ten for the year.

75. Atonement 12/31/07 - Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven - So I decided to close out my 2007 movie going experience on the last day of the year with the movie that is apparently the front runner for best picture. From beginning to end the movie, in my opinion, is nothing special. But the ending will kick you in the ass and was good enough to bump my rating up from barely getting two stars to a solid three star rating. Overall, I don't see what all the hoop-la over this movie is all about. You'd think a movie being beloved the way it is would blow your hair back. But aside from the ending, it did nothing of the sort.

Last edited by on Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:57 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Underground Dyer
Host
Underground Dyer

PostSubject: Re: Larry D's 2007 Movies   Larry D's 2007 Movies Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 9:29 am

Got a gift card for the movies for Christmas. So with there only being a few days left in 2007, I'm going to make a mad dash to see as many movies as I can before the ball drops on 2008.

Should be interesting to see what I can squeeze in before the end of the year.
Back to top Go down
Underground Dyer
Host
Underground Dyer

PostSubject: Re: Larry D's 2007 Movies   Larry D's 2007 Movies Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 7:24 am

Just so you guys know, I;m going to be doing a year in review type column/blog that will include my top ten movies of the year, best actor/actress and I will be giving out my "Five Star Definite DVD Purchase" grades as well.

Maybe I'll get it banged out while I am watching all those bowl games tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get it done by the end of the week.

Keep an eye out for it.
Back to top Go down
BrianIm

BrianIm

Male Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2007-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Larry D's 2007 Movies   Larry D's 2007 Movies Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 1:12 am

Best actress? Ellen Page hands down. She is the next big thing in Hollywood. Plus, she's Canadian. cheers

If you need more proof that she's deserving, check out Hard Candy. Highly recommended.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Larry D's 2007 Movies   Larry D's 2007 Movies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Larry D's 2007 Movies
Page 1 of 1