Sports Talk Underground Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sports Talk Underground Network

Welcome to the Sports Talk Underground Network Community Forum.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My "team name here"?

Go down 
+2
STUN.Ryan
CardinalPackerHoosier
6 posters
AuthorMessage
CardinalPackerHoosier

CardinalPackerHoosier

Male Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2007-08-11

My "team name here"? Empty
PostSubject: My "team name here"?   My "team name here"? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 11:18 pm

Is it OK to say "my Cubs" or "my Cardinals" or "my Pacers"? Obviously we aren't out there making runs or kicking field goals.

Fans spend huge amounts of money on merchandise, tickets and not to mention the money spent on concessions when they attend the games though. Beer for my left arm and a sandwich for my first born prices.

The teams are often announced as "your Indianapolis Colts". People always say "my country"...they just live here. They aren't the president. They aren't a leader in Congress. But they may work or have some contribution for society.

The subject had been brought up on a talk show recently when the moody host said no fan had the right to do it. Just wondered your thoughts...
Back to top Go down
http://cardinalnationjournal.blogspot.com
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

Male Number of posts : 569
Registration date : 2007-07-14

PostSubject: Re: My "team name here"?   My "team name here"? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 11:36 pm

This has been a long debate of can you say "we" about your favorite team. I say you can as long as you buy at least one ticket a year to one of their games. If you're a season ticket holder, I say absolutely. You, the fan, are putting your actual dollars into the organization. You helped pay for what's on the field. You can't just buy merchandise though and not buy a ticket to that team's game. Merchandise by all leagues I believe is broken down for each club. Example: You buy a Dolphins hat (why would you). It costs 25 bucks. That $25 is broken into 32 equal parts and distributed to all 32 teams evenly. I'm sure there's a bigger piece that even goes to the NFL in general or something. The point is buying a Dolphins hat doesn't go just to the Dolphins.
Back to top Go down
whodeygal

whodeygal

Female Number of posts : 460

PostSubject: Re: My "team name here"?   My "team name here"? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 12:30 am

Quote :
I say you can as long as you buy at least one ticket a year to one of their games.
I find that logic a bit flawed. Not everyone who loves and supports their team can afford to buy tickets to a game. I adore the Bengals. Adore. I don't think anyone here can dispute that point. But I am the primary breadwinner of my household, which includes a mortgage (on a house that must be heated through ridiculous Ohio Valley winters, I might add), my husband, three kids, and a cat, all of whom have managed to develop an unseemly addiction to not going hungry. The average cost of an ticket to a Bengals game is definitely not in my budget. A piece of merchandise is much more affordable for someone like me.

I think of the Bengals as my team because I love them and support them. I spend time in line to see them at personal appearances because I want them to know that I am a fan. I sit through games even though they sometimes bring me very near tears. I spend money at their Pro Shop to help finance their operations, and I buy goods in Hamilton County so that part of my sales tax can help pay for that big ass stadium they play in. On the other hand, while I'm not a huge baseball fan, I still think of the Reds as "my" Reds because I still care about what happens to them. I also go to their games, because I can get in for $10. Tickets are much more budget friendly, and I've had some really wonderful times there.

A team belongs as much to the fans as it does to the guys who actually do the work, because it's a symbiotic relationship. If the people of Cincinnati didn't support their teams in whatever way they could, the teams wouldn't exist here, and vice versa. They need us just as much as we need them. Money is only part of it, and I don't think it's fair to say that the right to think of a team as "yours" should only be extended to those among us who can pay the cost of stadium admission. While nothing can replace the live experience, it has nothing to do with how big a fan you are, or how much you support your team.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hyacinthtucker.com/
CardinalPackerHoosier

CardinalPackerHoosier

PostSubject: Re: My "team name here"?   My "team name here"? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 1:02 am

I think spending time in long lines to see them puts you in the category of being rightly able to say "we".

Ryan has a good point on the merchandise, though.

I love the argument some people give by ::dumb guy voice:: "Well, if you're born somewhere, you should root for that team".

Great, I was born in Terre Haute, Indiana. Who am I supposed to root for? The Terre Haute Nothings? Terre Haute Our Town Smells Awfuls? (at least I admit it, you know what I'm talking if you've been through there).

My point is I was basically born into being a Cardinals fan or Packers or Hoosiers fan. So it's as much as part of me as my eye color and dangerously attractive good looks (haha!). I think that can be part of it, too.
Back to top Go down
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

PostSubject: Re: My "team name here"?   My "team name here"? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 1:31 am

whodeygal wrote:
Quote :
I say you can as long as you buy at least one ticket a year to one of their games.
I find that logic a bit flawed. Not everyone who loves and supports their team can afford to buy tickets to a game.

I don't dispute your fact whodey, but I think when someone says "we" they have to have some type of direct monetary investment in the team or work for them. It's unfortunate not everyone can do that, but not everyone can afford to buy a team either.

As far at the use of "My Bengals" I'm fine with that. It's basically saying "My favorite team" but inserting Bengals instead of favorite team. It's just specifying who that team is. I don't see a problem in that.
Back to top Go down
Underground Dyer
Host
Underground Dyer

Male Number of posts : 483

PostSubject: Re: My "team name here"?   My "team name here"? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 9:19 am

I have never understood what the big stink was about some, like me for instance, saying "we" when referencing their team.

Why does that bother people so much? What the hell do you care how I refer to my favorite team? Hell I do it so much, half the time I don't even know I'm doing it.

And the whole money thing, makes no sense to me. I say "we" because I have invested something much more valuable than money.....my time. I have been a Bears fan my whole life, almost like it's part of me, of who I am.

I've bought one ticket in the last twenty plus years and that was to the Lions game in Week Four of this season. But in those twenty plus years, I've only missed watching a handful of games. I've invested more time than I ever will money.

But to top it all off, I could care less if it bothers someone that I say "we" when I talk about the Bears. Why that WOULD bother someone is beyond me. And if it does bother you, you really need to find something better to occupy your time. To me, this is something that really is worth thinking about. In fact, I've spent too much time thinking about is, so I'm done,
Back to top Go down
http://chicagobearsreview.mypodcast.com
BrianIm

BrianIm

Male Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2007-07-15

PostSubject: Re: My "team name here"?   My "team name here"? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 1:14 pm

The cliche that the fans are the 12th/6th man on the field/court has some truth to it. No fans equals no game.

I don't think time or money has anything to do with it. If I spend 10 bucks a day at a Starbucks, should I feel like I'm part of the Starbucks franchise? If I spend hours of watching a TV series should I feel like I'm a part of the show? Maybe, but probably not.

I don't want to sound like a sappy sports movie, but with sports, the consumers (fans) have a special, distinctive connection to whichever franchise they choose to root for. Whether you've spent your whole life watching every game or you just started rooting for them, as long as your heart sinks every time they lose, I have no problem with anyone saying "my" or "we".
Back to top Go down
CardinalPackerHoosier

CardinalPackerHoosier

PostSubject: Re: My "team name here"?   My "team name here"? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 8:08 pm

Underground Dyer wrote:
I have never understood what the big stink was about some, like me for instance, saying "we" when referencing their team.

Why does that bother people so much? What the hell do you care how I refer to my favorite team?

I agree. Some people just look for things to complain about.

The only time I have an issue with it is when someone rides bandwagons, "Well this year I'm rooting for the Colts, last year I was a Patriots fan" or whatever. Or someone who all of a sudden shows that they're an Indians fan after never showing an inkling of interest in baseball period...then they act like they're part of the team.

It seems pretty unanimous here what people think.
Back to top Go down
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

PostSubject: Re: My "team name here"?   My "team name here"? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 10:09 pm

I'm in the minority. I personally don't care or would not ever tell someone not to use "we" but I do feel that word get tossed around too much. I feel there are a series of things I have to do in order for me to use "we" which include what I've stated above. I'm not a big user of saying "we" for teams in general. I do it, but no that often.

The thing that makes me laugh about people who use "we" (and I'm not pointing any fingers on this board) is that those same "we" users somehow conveniently stop tossing that word around when their team is bad. Suddenly I hear "they" or "The Bears, The Cubs." A majority of the sports fans I have encountered somehow forget that they used "we" during the good times, Watch for it. It's pretty funny to watch develop. You rarely hear the sports fan say "we suck." It's usually "Man, they sucked out there today" or the Bears fans telling us "The bears suck" not "we suck."
Back to top Go down
whodeygal

whodeygal

PostSubject: Re: My "team name here"?   My "team name here"? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 10:39 pm

CardinalPackerHoosier wrote:
The only time I have an issue with it is when someone rides bandwagons, "Well this year I'm rooting for the Colts, last year I was a Patriots fan" or whatever. Or someone who all of a sudden shows that they're an Indians fan after never showing an inkling of interest in baseball period...then they act like they're part of the team.
Okay, yes, that's annoying. I don't think I've ever used the term "we" when referring to the Reds. I follow them, but I'm not hardcore.

I admit, I have used "we" from time to time when discussing the Bengals (I'm much more likely to say "my Bengals" or "my boys"). I guess I would say that I feel like I'm part of that "12th man" contingent with them, and in that way I do think of myself as being part of the team. In seeing what kind of effort a demoralized team puts forth, I think that the fans are just as much a part of a team as the guys who do the hitting.

I say, if you're so into your teams that you feel comfortable using the "we", go for it. I don't care one way or the other. I would also agree that some folks just live to find silly little things to complain about.

I find it mildly amusing that such a little word can cause such a clamor.
Back to top Go down
CardinalPackerHoosier

CardinalPackerHoosier

PostSubject: Re: My "team name here"?   My "team name here"? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 12:35 am

STUN.Ryan wrote:
You rarely hear the sports fan say "we suck." "

I honestly don't even think about it that much, it's more something I've done out of habit. I've said "we suck" or "wow, we look terrible" plenty of times. But yeah, I have noticed lots of fans won't include themselves when their team is playing terrible.

It's not like I'm saying "we" because I feel like I really have anything to do with the team winning or losing...at least directly. I mean when my team wins a big game or a close game, it's great and can make your day. But the players and coaches are the ones that get the maximum out of that. And contrastly, with the losses. I can usually get to sleep after my team loses, with few exceptions. I'm sure Tony La Russa loses sleep when the Cardinals lose no matter what situation and in the playoffs, it's magnified.

I like what George Will (famous conservative columnist who also writes about baseball) says: "The baseball box score is the background music of my life." I think that can pretty much sum up what being a fan means to me. Incidentally, I think Will's a Cubs fan...so I wonder what kinda music that would be? Really great intro. with promise and then a let down at the end of the song? Sorry, couldn't resist. :)
Back to top Go down
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

PostSubject: Re: My "team name here"?   My "team name here"? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 1:18 am

ass Laughing
Back to top Go down
whodeygal

whodeygal

PostSubject: Re: My "team name here"?   My "team name here"? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 3:42 am

*sigh*

We suck.

Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Underground Dyer
Host
Underground Dyer

Male Number of posts : 483

PostSubject: Re: My "team name here"?   My "team name here"? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 4:48 am

So do we. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://chicagobearsreview.mypodcast.com
CardinalPackerHoosier

CardinalPackerHoosier

PostSubject: Re: My "team name here"?   My "team name here"? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 6:29 am

And I'm half drunk... cheers santa
Back to top Go down
jdburlin1022

jdburlin1022

Male Number of posts : 107

PostSubject: Re: My "team name here"?   My "team name here"? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 8:35 am

I have no problem with people using the word "We". I must admit though i get self conscience about it and try and say ravens. If you have been a fan of a team all your life, and you live and die with them, i have no problem saying we.

And on the we suck thing, i'm pretty sure that 30-3 beating the orioles took make me say "we suck"
Back to top Go down
whodeygal

whodeygal

PostSubject: Re: My "team name here"?   My "team name here"? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 10:03 am

Yes, Scott (my friend the fan of all things sports and Maryland) was not happy after that shellacking the Orioles took. Making history is cool, but not like that.

Quote :
I wonder what kinda music that would be? Really great intro. with promise and then a let down at the end of the song?
The Cubs are Ravel's "Bolero"?
Back to top Go down
CardinalPackerHoosier

CardinalPackerHoosier

PostSubject: Re: My "team name here"?   My "team name here"? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 7:40 pm

I'd love to see the Orioles start winning again and mess up that AL East. There was a rumor Walt Jocketty was talking with them...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My "team name here"?   My "team name here"? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My "team name here"?
Page 1 of 1