Sports Talk Underground Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sports Talk Underground Network

Welcome to the Sports Talk Underground Network Community Forum.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cubs, last 2 weeks

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
CardinalPackerHoosier

CardinalPackerHoosier

Male Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Cubs, last 2 weeks Empty
PostSubject: Cubs, last 2 weeks   Cubs, last 2 weeks Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 8:55 pm

Alright, with all these Cubbie fans here, we don't have a bunch of talk about them making the last playoff push???

They've been playing pretty decent. Can't say they've been playing great but doesn't matter, they lead the division. Zambrano has blown his chance for the Cy Young (Jake Peavy's to lose) but he's come back around after his spat with the fans, the lineup is real solid, the bullpen is probably the weakest link right now. Well besides Len Caspar...what a complete loser. I've never seen a bigger puppet for ownership from an organization in my entire life. Awful. Just awful. Harry Caray wouldn't put up with that shit.

Well, I just wanted to bring that all up in an effort to jinx them. :) Cubs fans believe in that superstitious stuff, right?
Back to top Go down
http://cardinalnationjournal.blogspot.com
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

Male Number of posts : 569
Registration date : 2007-07-14

Cubs, last 2 weeks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cubs, last 2 weeks   Cubs, last 2 weeks Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 9:47 pm

Simple reason why I’m not buzzing CPH. I’m still not a believer at this point. The Cubs should win this division when you look at the remaing schedules for both the Brewers and Cubs, but they are the Cubs. I’m really trying to not get any hopes up right now.

They’ve played OK lately. Last night was fun. The closing role is a real issue. They won’t get away with that crap in the playoffs.

You also said
Quote :
“Well besides Len Caspar...what a complete loser. I've never seen a bigger puppet for ownership from an organization in my entire life. Awful. Just awful. Harry Caray wouldn't put up with that shit.”

While I actually like Len Casper as far as the x’s and o’s of broadcasting to call a baseball game, you are completely right. It’s horrible. He’s soo company man it makes me puke and you are right, Harry Caray would bitch slap his face for his blind company loyalty.

I’m hoping this isn’t the last week the Cubs play at Wrigley this year, but I wouldn’t put it past them.
Back to top Go down
CardinalPackerHoosier

CardinalPackerHoosier

Cubs, last 2 weeks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cubs, last 2 weeks   Cubs, last 2 weeks Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 4:33 am

Your thoughts on Casper are agreeable to me and refreshing to hear.

I never know what to expect with the Cubs so I won't make any prediction but I will say everyone was talking about the Cubs and Cardinals coming down to the last day for the division....since THAT won't happen now, maybe the Brewers will stop being overlooked. But that's what you get from no playoff appearances since...gosh, maybe 1982? Ouch.
Back to top Go down
W_Z

W_Z

Male Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2007-09-09

Cubs, last 2 weeks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cubs, last 2 weeks   Cubs, last 2 weeks Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 8:44 am

in an age of weak broadcasting, as the craft is slowly dying, i don't mind len.

i'm doing what i've been doing since they did go on a run...just enjoying the wins game by game.

i've grown up with not being able to make promising predictions or having many high hopes.
Back to top Go down
CardinalPackerHoosier

CardinalPackerHoosier

Cubs, last 2 weeks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cubs, last 2 weeks   Cubs, last 2 weeks Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 8:36 pm

W_Z wrote:
in an age of weak broadcasting, as the craft is slowly dying, i don't mind len.

i'm doing what i've been doing since they did go on a run...just enjoying the wins game by game.

There's a growing skepticism of broadcasting and the media in general. Some is deserved, some of it isn't because there's actually a decent amount of good broadcasters out there still...but Casper (Kasper?) is especially awful. Like Ryan said he knows the x's and o's, I've heard him analyze the game itself and ask Brenly interesting questions, but he doesn't just slant everything the Cubs' way, he makes them seem like God himself owns the team. I've never heard him once criticize the team. He seems scared to. It's like he has an earpiece with ownership in it telling him what to say in bad spots. At least Santo will make a sound like he just got hit by a truck when something happens he doesn't like.

Enough of that though, the last week and a half is gonna be fun to watch.
Back to top Go down
STUN.Ryan
Host
STUN.Ryan

Male Number of posts : 569
Registration date : 2007-07-14

Cubs, last 2 weeks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cubs, last 2 weeks   Cubs, last 2 weeks Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 8:56 pm

Quote :
He seems scared to. It's like he has an earpiece with ownership in it telling him what to say in bad spots.

I don't even know if that'd surprise me. Len's actually a pretty cool guy. He can be funny at times and I think he overall is a good broadcaster. But he's been the most company man PBP'er we've had in a long time. Even Chip wasn't afraid to say how he felt about the team.

I was listening to some Hary Caray stuff last night and it made me miss him all over again. I just love how pissed he'd get at how the Cubs would predictably lose ball games.

"high pop fly...." - No one has ever said those three words better and made them mean more than Harry

And his homerun call for me is still second to none. The genuine excitement from "It is" after starting the call with the same words he always uses cracks me up almost everytime. He seems to trick himself that he's not for sure if it's gone and then gets excited that its a homerun all over again.
Back to top Go down
CardinalPackerHoosier

CardinalPackerHoosier

Cubs, last 2 weeks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cubs, last 2 weeks   Cubs, last 2 weeks Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 12:44 am

STUN.Ryan wrote:
Even Chip wasn't afraid to say how he felt about the team..

Weren't Steve Stone and Chip basically told by the team to not be too hard on the team or to cut back on the criticism of Dusty Baker? Then those two got outta there soon after.

Obviously, Harry was one of a kind and beloved by Cubs, White Sox and Cardinals fans-heck, probably everyone loved him. He just had a genuine enthusiasm for the game. Great sense of humor, too. He'd be on my short list of favorite announcers.

Zambrano seemed to have other things in his head last night.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cubs, last 2 weeks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cubs, last 2 weeks   Cubs, last 2 weeks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cubs, last 2 weeks
Page 1 of 1